I suggest you ...

Make the Options dialog resizable

The current option dialog in not resizeable which makes it very hard to configure e.g. the keyboard view (only 4 lines of commands visible). Please make it resizeable!

454 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dieter SchmitzDieter Schmitz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • aliali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To:
        Microsoft
        Bring back Classic Visual Basic (VB6), and allow 64 bit compilation

Sincerely,

• DuncanDuncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the newly ****** up colour schemes in VS2012 this requirement is now more important than ever.

With every release of VS I shake my head in disbelief that they _still_ haven't fixed this issue.

• annoyannoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Josh Stevens: " It really does need to support resizing to conform to modern UI standards."

No Josh/Microsoft, it needs to support resizing to *keep your customers happy* or at least allow them to perform what should be a simple task without being driven to distraction.

Most of you guys at Microsoft really don't have a clue, do you?

Josh Stevens again: "Spec’ing the proper resize behavior, writing the resize code, and testing it is where the real cost of this work lies – not to mention the coordination of work between the many separate teams that contribute Options pages."

Hmmm, in 2012 writing code to resize the contents of a window is now costly and difficult to coordinate at Microsoft. Why don't you get your head out of your arses and at least try giving the appearance of caring about your customers for once?

• Huseyin YilmazHuseyin Yilmaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least make the default fixed size bigger. No self respecting developer uses a resolution below 1920x1080 novadays...

• Michael CsikosMichael Csikos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can understand the Environment Variable editor not being allocated any time or money to fix, because, "Hey, who uses this stuff anymore?" But, the Visual Studio Options dialog is used by everyone at some point, and usually within the first ten seconds of a new install. If first impressions count — and they do — this dialog makes a terrible first impression. We have multiple megapixel+ monitors and this dialog makes me want to kill myself.

Not every page needs updating, but there are a few which would really benefit from being resizable. Surely, a couple of junior programmers could have this done in a matter of weeks. Chump change.

• cpmcgrathcpmcgrath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Terrible habit of Microsoft. The worst case is the Environment variables. The have a tiny textbox to fit something like the Path Environment Variable in.

By default, all dialogs should be resizable and be able to be maximised. Preferably the size should be remembered.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's an old Microsoft's bad habit: most of dialogs in their product are not resizable. It's really very silly.
        It's the sign Micorosoft Engineers write programs and never use them.

• Александр SonicflareАлександр Sonicflare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>>Having said that, we recognize that the lack of resizability is frustrating and makes the dialog less usable. It really does need to support resizing to conform to modern UI standards. Unfortunately, due to schedule constraints, this didn’t quite make the cut for the latest version. It’s still on our “to do” list for the future.

good point. How about implement the auto-reflow of controls (like Winforms, or Qt), then recompile and see how buttons fly all over the screen :D

• Jack, FranceJack, France commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Josh : You're right : It's a hard work. But don't you think that buying a Ferrari with Beetle wheels is a little bit disappointing ?
        The time MS don't spend by developping this 'gadget' is spent 1000 times by users who waste time by cliking on moving slidebars all the day long.

If you have access to (*), read this : https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/675746/option-windows-are-too-small-and-not-resizable
        (*) Not sure you can access this page without sign-in.

• Josh Stevens - MSFTJosh Stevens - MSFT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s true that the dialog frame could be made resizable simply by setting the appropriate window style. However, most of the pages within the dialog don’t support resizing, as they are native win32 dialogs and would require hand-written code to rearrange their contents on resize (as opposed to Winforms or WPF dialogs, which can use “built in” resizing logic). Spec’ing the proper resize behavior, writing the resize code, and testing it is where the real cost of this work lies – not to mention the coordination of work between the many separate teams that contribute Options pages.

Having said that, we recognize that the lack of resizability is frustrating and makes the dialog less usable. It really does need to support resizing to conform to modern UI standards. Unfortunately, due to schedule constraints, this didn’t quite make the cut for the latest version. It’s still on our “to do” list for the future.

Feedback and Knowledge Base