I suggest you ...

XML format of solutions files (.sln)

Current format of solutions (.sln) files is very complex and is not XML. Current format prevents to make the merge operations and various automation actions. Visual Studio solutions files must be in recognized XML format (like MSBuild files).

227 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alexander BiryukovAlexander Biryukov shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Piet-Hein HeemskerkPiet-Hein Heemskerk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also extend the .NET namespace Microsoft.Build.Construction (see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.build.construction.aspx) to support this new format, both for reading and manipulating the
        Using reflection I found that there are already some internal classes that deal with solution files: SolutionParser, SolutionProjectGenerator and the enum SolutionProjectType.

• Keith HillKeith Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BTW a perfectly suitable and logical XML format would be to use MSBuild for the solution file format especially considering that MSBuild has to generate a temp msbuild file for the solution anyway, in order to build the solution.

• Keith HillKeith Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! The current SLN format is a mess when it comes to merging between branches. Many times I have to just accept either the target or source version of the SLN and recreate the appropriate changes to the SLN file. This is *unacceptable*! Also, doing a diff on a SLN is also painful given the idiotic numbering scheme SLNs use to number each project. I also agree with the comment about all the incomprehensible GUIDs.

• Troels ThomsenTroels Thomsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please sort the project entries in the solution file (and file entries in project files for that matter) alphabetically. By doing so, you'll reduce the risk of two new entries causing a merge conflict as they statistically will be distributed throughout the file.

• Stefan SchorStefan Schor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Merging of solution files is realy a pain.
        Please change the format that merging getting easier (no more "array" counters).

Feedback and Knowledge Base