rename project in TFS
Rename existing project in TFS
Im am excited to announce that today we are planning to enable project rename for TFS 2015. We don’t have an ETA yet for Visual Studio Online.
If you want to see our progress, visit the Future Feature Development page at http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/release-archive-vso.
TFS Program Manager
Nice to see this updated, finally... Ewald/ED...can you guys please engage here on Uservoice more frequently....Please?
In seeing Brian's comment on his blog that team project rename is "nowhere near finished yet but the basic infrastructure enabling it is coming into being." I really hope you guys are going to be thinking through and delivering a complete "rename team project" feature.
And by complete I'm thinking:
1) Rename Team Project will update SSRS reports
2) Rename Team Project will update SharePoint
3) Rename Team Project will allow for historical querying of data to the old name (version control, builds, test plans, and most IMPORTANT the Cube)
4) Renamed Team Project will work for ALL editions of Visual Studio and (Visual Studio 2005, Visual Studio 2008, Visual Studio 2010, Visual Studio 2010, Visual Studio 2012, Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2015, and Team Explorer Everywhere)
5) Renamed Team Project will work for MSSCI and SQL SSMS
6) Renamed Team Project will not take the team project offline during the rename process (if we have people still checking in their checkins will live migrate to the new team project name...I DON'T want to have to have a DOWNTIME to rename a team project...we have builds that take days to run and I don't want to have to coordinate a downtime just make it work live live migrating a VM)
7) Renamed Team Project can be renamed multiple times...I like to change my mind and try new names and retry old names
8) Renamed Team Projects will work in Lab Management and allow for historical views of the data with the old name
9) Renamed Team Projects will work with Process Template customized fields and Global Lists.
10) Renamed Team Projects will work with API calls to the old team project name...we have build templates that look up the Team Project by name. Ensure the API handles calling the old team project name.
11) Renamed Team Projects will update the TFS Security Group names....all of the TFS Security Groups by default have the name in the string for example "ProjectAlpha Contributors" so I expect the rename feature to update the group names with the new name.
12) We have migrated VSS repositories to TFS and so renaming team projects better NOT break, VSS migrated repos. I don't want any Version Control labels/branches with the old team project name.
13) We have branched between team project source control projects..so the source control branches between team projects better work with the new names and update the descriptions text on the branches.
14) Team Project rename better be FAST. I should be able to click rename and have it take less than a second...like when I rename a folder in Windows.
You guys have had at least 4 years to build this feature...and these are the ideas that just come to mind off of the top of my head.
Build this feature RIGHT. Ship the feature all of us are asking for, for the past 4 years.
Juliana F. Borges commented
Great!! We look forward to it!
Thanks for the correction, Ed. Speaking of frustration, UserVoice only allows you to delete posts and not edit them. Ewald's announcement makes it sound as if rename will be fixed in TFS2015 on-premise first, and then for Online at a later date.
When I said "will not include support for VSOnline" this is what I meant. More like "will not include support for VSOnline *first*" or "out of the gate."
Thank you for engaging your customers. This carries a lot of weight with us!
Ed Blankenship commented
@MichaelD - I wouldn't say that it doesn't mean that there won't be support in Visual Studio Online. Ewald was only mentioning that we don't have an ETA for when it will be released in Visual Studio Online. Renaming team projects will be available in Visual Studio Online.
Product Manager, Visual Studio Online & TFS
Thanks Joel. This problem is systemic in MSFT and not just in TFS. For some reason, MSFT usually places an intern in charge of creating tables and entity models when a project first starts, and they inevitably lock in an ID field to a string (usually a name) instead of a generated GUID, causing all sorts of ugliness in the system. Like I said, it's prevalent and not confined to just TFS. Office365 is a good example of this, too. You cannot easily rename a domain name in Office365 and have to cancel the account and created a new one. This is incredibly embarrassing and reflects poorly on MSFT. Maybe they needed to have asked better questions during their whiteboard interviews back in the day. ;)
To the TFS group's credit, they have gotten much better and you can see where the talent truly lies now in MSFT. TFS Online Account rename is a good example. It's just taken so long to get this addressed, and the frustration of the mindset required to overlook this clearly obvious scenario is painfully felt and voiced in this thread.
Just to summarize here. This vote was started in 2011 and is just now finally getting on the release backlog for next year. Altogether, that means it will be a FULL FOUR YEARS when it will be fixed. That is a presidential term, or a college degree... or both!
What's shocking here is that will not include support for VSOnline, which is what everyone uses anyways. Let's just hope that getting VSOnline integration doesn't take as long as this issue has taken already. Maybe I should plan for my masters degree now. :P
Cracking up at MichaelD!
Is it fixed yet?
An update would be appreciated, Really could use this sooner than later.
Chase Florell commented
our issue. TeamCity. It replaces anything wrapped in percent (%) signs with a variable. So if there are two spaces in your project ~My Awesome Project~ the url will be ~My$20Awesome$20Project~
And now TeamCity sees 20Awesome as a variable, and then tries to replace it... breaking the VCS root. AHHHHHHH
Please fix this.
Is it fixed yet?
we started with a long, descriptive name which is a problem now (with areas, itertions and paths).
So please add renaming functionality.
Tyson Navarre commented
Adding my name to the list of those begging for this feature. It cannot be easy but its something a lot of us could really use.
Please let me know when this functionality will be available?
Is it fixed yet?
Juliana F. Borges commented
What a shame MS... your software is so expensive.
I don't know if it's hard to implement, but do you agree that this is a BASIC functionality?
Paul Kemper commented
Please add the possibility to rename a team project.
Tobias Larsson commented
This is really important when TFS projects with teams often are reflecting organization. Only way to handle that currently is to have one TFS project to rule them all...but that is a nightmare if you got +100 teams in a collection... its impossible.
So please add this... this should be prio.
Bitte, bitte, kommt in die Puschen!
This has just bitten me for the second time this month! Not being able to rename a project is VERY BAD, not to mention embarassing and costly. Can someone in the TFS team put together a utility that will do this. Or at the very least put together instructions on how to do this manually so that we get everything into a new project. With an issue like this I can't recommend TFS to anyone.
Adrian Allonso commented
I saw the September 23rd release notes here : http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2014-sep-23-vso and I wanted to see if renaming team projects is possible. Apparently it's not available.
Is there any update about when it will be available and the version of TFS that it will work on?