I suggest you ...

make it possible to move a Team Project between Team Project Collections

Currently you need to move an existing Team Project to a new Team Project Collection. I would like a feature to move Team Project between Team Project Collections without using TFS Integration Toolkit or other 3rd party tools.

1,872 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vik JaggiVik Jaggi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We'd like this feature too. Right now folks have to muddle through an array of tools to migrate the data and still a lot of it is lost. Why can't MS make it easier for everyone and provide a tool to do it?

• Randy in MarinRandy in Marin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the major failings of the current TFS design. Having a single changeset sequence for a collection limits options. I think a changeset sequence per team project would have been better. Perhaps every team project needs a globally unique guid. A single checkin would generate a new sequence number in every team project that is part of the checkin. A new collection method would be required to simulate a collection changeset sequence. Perhaps a table that relates the team project changesets? The collection level sequence would change as projects are exported or imported, so using it as a key would not be good. Stable references would have to use the team project guid (or id mapped to the guid - I don't like guids) and team project changeset number.

Perhaps another option is to use a universal time to the nanosecond instead of an integer sequence. When moving team projects around, the changeset values will mostly merge. If the some changeset times are the same, introduce a tracked change to make them unique. When exporting the team project, undo any changes used to make records unique. (Add a ns? Add a fraction of a ns? Add a sequence id column that is normally 0?)

Without a redesign, it will be close to impossible to move projects correctly without re-sequencing changesets. That does not sound fun at all. A TFS 2016 with a new design could import an old collection and add new team project sequences just by using the old values. After that, projects are free to roam.

• Michael DynesMichael Dynes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very relevant feature/functionality. I currently have a need to migrate a development project from TFS 2010 collection instance to a TFS 2013 collection instance. Currently, that does not appear to be possible.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to move a project and/or consolidate collections is a capability that needs to be addressed. TFS Intergration tool is/was not the answer.

• Eric AldingerEric Aldinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this feature as well. I have had several occasions to do this and it is less fun than other tasks in TFS

• Suman BrarSuman Brar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would definately be a very useful feature as it will help in solving the database size issues. By moving a particular project to new collection, bloating datatbase size will reduce and help in overall backup, maintenance and upgrades.

• Alex Drozdowicz, AVEVA Solutions Ltd.Alex Drozdowicz, AVEVA Solutions Ltd. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft now recommend we put all our projects all in one collection. Unfortunately they forgot about the existing users who had separate projects before collections came into being. It's naïve to think that everybody can start with a clean page, most projects live for many years ... if MS wants us to move to new releases we need much better out of the box tools to move from the old world to the new one.

• Don KirkhamDon Kirkham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a dozen projects (or more, possible hundreds) in one collection can get very confusing when only a few of them are active projects. The ability to move these projects into an Archive collection, including all history, code, etc., for the project, would be very valuable. This would allow active projects to managed more easily, while archived projects are available for reference.

• Jonas BrockJonas Brock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A copy project feature (i.e. with the need for the user to delete the source afterwards if a move is desired) would be enough but we need initially to move 50-60% of our projects to another collection, and regularly archive projects (i.e. not delete) but to facilitate a change in backup and security profile etc. on older projects that are no longer active but still valuable source code wise and so on.

Can't understand why it is not obvious that this feature is very relevant. We've recently upgraded from TFS2008 SP1 straight to TFS2012 using the upgrade wizard and the only option we had was to make one project collection with all projects in.

It would have been fine with us if we in the upgrade process had given us the option of splitting the projects into x number of project collections at that point. But being able to do it afterwards is even more valuable.

We don't at present need team site copy and so on only the "native" TFS stuff like source code including history and comments, and work items etc. however a complete project copy would be preferable.
        We really do not want to have to rely on third party tools and plug-ins for our enterprise work.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very helpful, particularly in the scenarios of enterprise re-orgs or any change of structure, such as having TPC initially organized by region then by function.

• Nicholas SNicholas S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely useful for me as well. Particularly if you could use it to move a team project between servers.

• SesarioSesario commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like a "no-brainer" feature to have...like moving a folder from one directory to another...or a table from one database to another...or a database from one server to another...or a ...I think you get the idea.

• Chris FChris F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are trying to test the upgrade of a custom process template and I want to copy the Team Project we need to test to a different collection so that we can run the upgrade on that specific collection and verify everything is working.

I ran the following commmand with the /clone option
        TFSConfig Collection /attach /collectionName:http://SERVER:8080/tfs/DefaultCollection_TESTING /collectionDB:SERVER;Tfs_DefaultCollection_TESTING /clone

TF253021:The following team project is duplicated in at least two team project collections: IT. The collection cannot start while the duplication exists. You must delete this project from all but one of the collections before the collection can be started. The project exists in the following collections: DefaultCollection,DefaultCollection_Testing
        But when I try to bring the collection online I get the following error:

• PremPrem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi
        I would like to "move" a Team Project from one collection to the other.

I dont need to "merge" into another team project etc. So hopefully there wont be any data conflicts etc or issues.

Its so that we can manage collections effectively and still preserve history without having to recreate projects.

Fingers crossed!
        Thanks

• Charles HerringtonCharles Herrington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We didnt realize until just now that you cant have projects shared across collections. Now that we know this we want to move all the projects that use the same shared projects into one collection but cant.

• Manish JainManish Jain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also have need for this feature. We are creating new projects in 2010. Later we would like to migrate 2008 team projects into existing collection. Just like tfs integration platform, its okay to renumber work item, change set numbers etc. I understand this is a complex feature to implement but this should be part of TFS suite and less complex than integration platform.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base