I suggest you ...

add folders for build definitions in Team Explorer

I would like to have folders for my build definitions in Team Explorer that allow me to organize and apply batch updates to several definitions at once. I could apply security to the various folders which would be inherited by the build definitions underneath. Batch updates could include regular expression modification of the build definition names, workspace folders, drop locations, and/or projects to build.

395 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over time we have accumulated a large number of builds. Having a way to organize these would be a big plus.
        It's been 2 years since this feature was requested. Isn't it about time to move it up in the queue or dump it?

• GerdGerd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, the hierarchy of folders is essential: I want to build up a structure to organize the builds corresponding to their branches (Development and Release). We have a large amount of single builds, that should be put together as a set. Event if the filter would work as expected, it is very uncomfortable without a feature like folders,

So..MS Dudes. It's now been two years since this was added to your backlog. I'd say the community deserves an update on where this stands,

• Mike GMike G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been waiting for this too. I'd also suggest adding the ability to assign permissions on those folders, which carry down to the build definitions in the folder. This will allow us to prevent one team's build engineer from editing/breaking another team's build defintion. I know I can do this already on each individual build defintion, but that's not practical since we have over 150 build definitions.

• Bryan JacksonBryan Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a needed feature for multiple teams working under a single team project. Also, alerts need to be filterable by folder.

As we will be moving to the 'recommended' single team project approach when we migrate to 2012, this feature , or one like it will be critical as we will have up to 100 build definitions. We are considering a shift to team city as they provide templates and better organization and management features.

• TFSUSERTFSUSER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

17 months later - any updates on where this feature sits on the product backlog?

• Mike SantizMike Santiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really need a way to have build permissions uniformly set across a series of build definitions that could be placed in a folder, and I need a way to have other permissions set across other builds in a different way. Build Folders would go a long way.

• John SewellJohn Sewell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like the ability to put build definitions into not just folders, but a hierarchy of sub-folders under "Builds" folder in Team Explorer. I'd like to be able to move them around such a hierarchy without relation to their version control structure (another wished-for-feature), thus active/recent build definitions could easily be kept visible or easily discoverable without having to branch/move within the version control hierarchy. I also want a way to easily customize a group of definitions at once.

• ToreTore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also be nice with something like "My Builds" with private builds only shown to me, like is possible with queries in the Work Item deaprtment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base