I suggest you ...

Visualize relationships between branches based on changesets

I'd like to see an overview graph of branches to determine how branches were created, merged or synchronized. Actually I have to find the right changeset to get the same information. When working with a lot of branches like we do (feature-driven development) it would be very helpful to obtain rapidly an overview of latest actvitities among the branches (especially for synchronizing branches).The graph could be visualized as DGML and rendered in Visual Studio.

426 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeremy SimmonsJeremy Simmons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Matthew Mitrik is spot on dogging the Version Browser of ClearCase. While effective, it displays a large amount of information that's never used. Please consider this an anti-pattern not to be imitated!

• Ismael OleaIsmael Olea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not 100% sure if my comment applies here but here it is.

I strongly suggest a good branch representation for both VS and TFS. I came from the CVS/SVN/Git world and I used to tools very graphically expresive on this.

Github branches view seems nice to me. I used in Linux the gitg tool which seems good to me too.

The current way to represent branches in both tools, looks to me confusing and demotivates newcomers to this practice.

• Matthew MitrikMatthew Mitrik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have some ideas for visualizations that could help users better understand relationships and how changes are flowing through the system, though we've intentionally tried to keep our visualizations from becoming overly complex. IMHO, the Version Browser of ClearCase can easily become overwhelming, diminishing its usefulness. I think the right solution lies in the balance of information displayed to the user.

Matt
        Program Manager | TFS Version Control

Feedback and Knowledge Base