I suggest you ...

...develop an empowering Process Template editor!!

The current editor's user experience is a barrier to process improvement through customization of of the template itself. The idea that an out of the box process template will satisfy all customer needs (or even one of the several shipped by MSFT) will be a limiting factor on meaningful and valuable implementations of the product.

449 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Emma GarlandEmma Garland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really would love this feature. At present we just want a Review column, and it should be straight-forward to customise this.

• zeblonzeblon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And be sure it works with projects hosted on Visual Studio Online. Currently the only "witadmin" commands that work with VSO are query commands (exportwitd), but not process editing commands (importwitd).

• Ivan Pavlović (MVP for Visual C#)Ivan Pavlović (MVP for Visual C#) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using Process Template editor on the daily basis and I could not agree more with this requirement - it really needs redo

- First class visual studio project type - TFS process template
        - Create project based on the existing process template OR based on the customized process template used on existing project
        - Right click on project to verify all & deploy to one or multiple servers/collections/existing projects
        - Better workflow state and transition editor
        - VS Designer for Agile and Common configuration

• Bob HardisterBob Hardister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PROBLEM: the Process Editor plugin strips out any comments and formatting added to the WIT definition XML files via a code editor.

ASK-1: need to be able to apply changes to WIT definitions and other template components to multiple projects within the collection at the same time.

ASK-2: need to be able to export (i.e. create) a process template from a team project

• Andy BolstridgeAndy Bolstridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is the TFS PowerTools that allows you to edit workflow processes (and more) from within Visual Studio: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/b1ef7eb2-e084-4cb8-9bc7-06c3bad9148f - see the "Work Item Templates" tool

A plug-in to Visual Studio, this tool provides an add-in to the Team menu and a new section on the Work Items page in Team Explorer. With this tool, you can create, apply, capture, set, and organize default work item templates.

... using a nice GUI.

• philcartphilcart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice to step through the process template via a wizard that adds/removes items based on our own workflow process.

eg: we use separate stand-alone testing software, so testing work items & reports should be excluded. The same goes for builds which are done via CruiseControl

Feedback and Knowledge Base