Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    David MarcusDavid Marcus shared a merged idea: Support 'Edit & Continue' in 64 bit mode (its about time)  ·   · 
    The configuratorThe configurator shared a merged idea: Make Edit and Continue work more globally  ·   · 

106 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We used to use Edit and Continue intensively when implementing enhancements and fixing bugs as it reduced the time taken to complete the task. It was useful because in many instances it would take a few minutes to start the application and get to the point where a change was required - Edit and Continue allowed us to make the change in 'on the fly' rather than having to continuously stop the application, recompile and then take several minutes to get back to the same place. We have now switched to a 64-bit development environment as our development machines are 64-bit and most of our customers are using our 64-bit installers on 64-bit operating systems. Unfortunately, development time has increased since this change solely due to the lack of Edit and Continue. Please implement it for 64 bit!

• moe herbertmoe herbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It often takes quite a while to build and configure an application then work through all the steps to get to the exact conditions for debugging. Often using 32 bit is not an option. To have to restart this whole process instead of being able to EnC takes may take significant time. Definitely a critical feature in our group!

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that you dropped EnC from x64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED THIS AND SO DO MANY OTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• J RosenbaumJ Rosenbaum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Edit and continue needs to be added for 64-bit support - not to do so hampers rapid development in Visual Studio for 64-bit platforms

Edit and continue is a major feature that everyone needs.

When a program takes minutes to be set in the correct conditions for testing/debugging. You only get 1/100th of your debugging time per day without this feature...

• MarkusMarkus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am focussing on and learning 64-Bit development since a while and, hence, will greatly appreciate being able to use an optimal supported plattform. So, please, bring in the Edit & Continue stuff for x64 to make developer's heart smile again. It'll save a substantial amount of time during the development phase creating new stuff :)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base