I suggest you ...

provide an (extensibility) API for the Microsoft Test Manager

Currently we need to go quite some lengths in order to extend and customize the Microsoft Test Manager functionality (Planning, edition and running tests) because the functionality mtm(.exe) provides only overlaps to a certain extend to our usecases and right now it offers no public API which we can build upon.

196 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    apoleonapoleon shared a merged idea: make microsoft test manager extentible for custom code  ·   · 

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to add some fields in the test results tab as well as in work item type definition

I would like to be able to add some fields of the test results as well as work item type definition

I would like to be able to update fields in test results (like comments/notes) for particular TC using API.

• Tushar MhatreTushar Mhatre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to export test suites/test cases to word document as tables. The ability I need is to be able to generate a word document according to a given template. This ability is currently provided by HPQC. We need this ability to be able to migrate to MTM/Visual Studio as a generic solution.

• EricFieldsEricFields commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have created a few tools using the API that we would, at bare minimum, like to make accessible from the MTM UI. The main reason is so that users don't have to keep track of numerous tool executables. Here are some of the tools: TestCaseExport, TestPointReport, TestPointMetrics. It would be even better if we could integrate the tool functionality into the existing MTM functionality(Ex. TestCaseExport - From the Test tab, click on TestSuite and export TestCase in the TestSuite w/option to export TestCases in sub-Suites as well. Thanks for considering.

• RyanRyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also addition extension points i'd like to see is a plugin type model. Being able to add new features via Plugins would be great, like the Test Scribe one created by MS.

@Jorg, sorry i didn't realise you replied to my comment. Although doable at the moment by syncing TFS with Jira it still require us to maintain a system we no longer use. It would be better if MTM acted as a stand alone system with greate TFS integration built in if you use it. I understand there there are many features in MTF that are TFS dependant and i would be happy to not be able to use these. The main thing would be Task CRUD sync between MTM and Jira(or some other system). If this was possible MTM would be a good stand alone Test tool. Features i think could be included are

1. CRUD of bugs / tasks in a separate task management system
        2. Attaching of all the Data and Diagnostics collected (although video might want to be store in a different system like a file store)

This would go a long way. Additional nice to have would be
        3. Automated Testing Execution

By doing this you open MTM to a whole new Market, MTM has some great features that no other system has, the action recording and VM integration for example. It sucks that we can't use it if we don't have TFS

• PrashantkumarPrashantkumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add New tab To display Page to get few Testing related Statistic and Graphs from TFS

• Jörg B.Jörg B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ryan,
        the native defect management of TFS is tightly integrated in other parts of it aswell, particularly the Test Management component as well as the SCM part & interweaving/making this pluggable seems like a rather extensive and therefore probably unlikely change. However, as defects are work items, you can modify it to your needs (which might also mean strip the tfs-integrated down to a bare minimum and only link to a full-blown jira case from there (and vice versa maybe)). We've created something similiar for a very large, highly-regulated customer that does the same with their primary, validated non-tfs defect management system (Rational ClearQuest). Master in that case is also the external (ClearQuest) system, but shadow-copies are synced into tfs as tfs-native defects. In a next version we will extend this to two-way-sync (users can update defects on both ends), yet ClearQuest remains the master. And as I said, this is rather easily doable with TFS2010 already. The tricky part was only to integrate the business-specific ClearQuest customization into that picture. But beyond that, no problems regarding TFS.

I'd like to be able to change the Defect Manager to something like Jira

I would like to see extensibility support for the different Defect managers other than TFS such as Jira. Jira has far better project management abilities than TFS but MTM has some great features to. It would be good if we could select Jira as a plugin that would allow us to integrate bugs with jira bugs.

• Jörg B.Jörg B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ben, I can only speak for our use cases, but our biggest pain-point with MTM is it's Test Runner tool not allowing us to hook into / customize the actual testing workflow in order to apply checks that our testing process defines.

For example once a test run contains at least one failed step, a bug must be created & attached to that test case. If that's not the case, the test run is void/inconclusive and either we spend manual time analyzing the test and writing a bug later on or in case the tester is no longer available, we re-plan the test case. We have several thousands of manual test cases per iteration to perform in a large variety of configurations (hundreds) and therefore we have to make sure actual test executions can be performed with as little as manual 'checks' after each test.

So basically the bare minimum, which would help us a lot, would be the possibility to have a cancellable 'On_Save' event or such being fired upon the User pressing the Save (&Close) button within the MTM Test Runner which we could handle and go on to iterate over the test steps, apply our business logic/checks and in case something has not been performed right, cancel the Save and inform the user what to do.

Feedback and Knowledge Base