Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We added support for Cross Browser testing with VS 2012 Update 1. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2012/10/30/introducing-cross-browser-testing-with-coded-ui-tests.aspx

For MTM scenarios, you would need to import action recordings from MTM into a Coded UI Test and change browser type to the desired one.

I would like to know if this satisfies the needs of folks on this thread and I can close this to release votes or if people are specifically looking for the ability to specify browser type from within MTM.

Prachi Bora, Visual Studio Program Manager, MSFT

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • irperezirperez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The CodedUI support is a major step forward, however, I think its still important to handle chrome and firefix directly within MTM as a feature for manual testing. Sometimes shops do not do automated testing and only manual testing and this would be a negative for them.

• David SageDavid Sage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally it would be configurable from Test Manager, perhaps by using a Test Configuration.

We have several thousand coded UI tests that need to be executed against multiple browser types, so using this methodology we would have to either point our tests to some global variable in the automation solution and modify the code / rebuild every time we needed to switch to another browser, or have copies of the test case with coded ui Test variants associated to each one with the specified browser types.

Neither is a perfect solution, but if we could configure multiple Test Configurations with a setting to point to a specific browser it would go a long way towards reducing overhead for cross-browser testing.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please have Action Recordings for manual testing being able to be created using other browsers like Chrome and FireFox?

• WoodyWoody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I kind of need a timeline. It is hard to recommend this solution against say a Selenium if I can't tell clients when Chrome or Firefox will be supported. Especially since it doesn't look it like it was in the newest release of 2012.

• Peter HarlidPeter Harlid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"If we provide support for multiple browsers such as IE/Chrome/Firefox in Coded UI Test, would that be an acceptable solution for you?
        For MTM specific scenarios, you would need to import MTM recordings (performed on IE) to Coded UI Test and then change browser type to the intended browser."

Provided you mean FF 4 and add Safari into the mix, yes, that would work and that is what I think most here wants not to say needs.

• Shubhra Maji MSFTShubhra Maji MSFT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we provide support for multiple browsers such as IE/Chrome/Firefox in Coded UI Test, would that be an acceptable solution for you?
        For MTM specific scenarios, you would need to import MTM recordings (performed on IE) to Coded UI Test and then change browser type to the intended browser.

• HugoHugo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For efficient testing we would like to be able to create a coded ui test and run at against the major browser´s, IE9-10, Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opere.

• Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Woody,
        The Test team is working on some backlog prioritization and future efforts.
        Based on your earlier feedback we were wondering if you could let us know what we should be doing more of/differently.
        One of my coworkers has created a survey to facilitate this process: http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22EBRY95XJ6

Thanks,
        Charles (aka Chuck) Sterling

• AmyAmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great if MTM supported the most recent version of FireFox (e.g. 7) and also Chrome as it is picking up speed in the market!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For instance the feature pack 2 allows playback in FF 3.5 but there is currently no update to FF4.
        The release cycle for supporting multiple browser has to be quicker.

Hoping that partners will build the browser extensions thru the extensibility model is not working.

Feedback and Knowledge Base