I suggest you ...

Excel integration with MTM

Allow testers to open test cases in Excel and edit them and sync them back into MTM. It would also be nice if I could mark test case pass/ fail status in Excel and upload to MTM directly

792 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Shankar SathiamurthiShankar Sathiamurthi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Enable export of test cases from TFS2012 into Excel, with proper formating in the steps.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Allow Expected Results field that is queryable and available in Excel Addin for test case upload.  ·   · 
    completed  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

There were two independent problems being raised as part of this uservoice item:

1. Test case authoring (with or without test steps) is a very tedious process in MTM
    2. No easy way to execute tests offline and then upload the results into TFS

1. - TEST CASE AUTHORING:
      For #1 – the core underlying needs were:
      a. Being able to author test cases (without test steps) quickly – useful when evaluating/brainstorming the different test scenarios and not necessarily being focused on individual steps
      b. Being able to author test cases along with test steps at one go – useful when tester has full clarity on what to author
      c. Being able to see all test cases/steps in one view and make relevant/related changes at one shot
      d. Being able to easily copy steps from one test case to another

MTM was coming in the way for all the above – it forced testers to open the “test case work item form” one at a time for each test case, either for create/edit scenarios.

Starting with TFS 2013, we have now enabled the “grid view” for Test case authoring, which addresses all the issues raised above, related to test case authoring.

Few of the capabilities enabled in Grid view include:
    • Create new test cases in a suite, in bulk, using the grid view (with or without test steps) irrespective of whether the suite already contains test cases or not
    • Bulk edit all or specific test cases in grid view (add steps, remove steps, edit steps)
    • Copy test cases/steps (including Shared Steps) from one test case to another in grid view
    • Copy test cases/steps from Excel to grid view and vice versa
    • Remove test cases from the suite using the grid view
    • Directly open the test case work item form from within grid view for advanced scenarios such as creating shared steps from steps, editing parameter values, adding step attachments etc.
    • Use Column Options to select the test case fields you want to see in the Grid view (this capability is scheduled for upcoming update of TFS 2013)

The Grid view for test cases has also been enabled on Visual Studio Online (see: http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2013-sep-9-vso & http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2013-sep-30-vso )

More info about the grid view can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd286729.aspx

Note: We do acknowledge that the grid view lacks capabilities such as computed columns/formula support, search & replace, offline editing etc.
    If these are critical, please create new uservoice items so that they can be tracked & prioritized accordingly.

1. - OFFLINE TEST EXECUTION:
      We understand and acknowledge the need for this ask. A new user voice item has been created to track this –

Offline test Execution: Allow users to execute test cases in an offline manner (when not connected to TFS)
    http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3596154-offline-test-execution-allow-users-to-execute-tes

Given that we have addressed #1 in the product and created a separate item to track #2, we are marking the current uservoice item as COMPLETED.

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Phil - these changes are exclusive to TFS 2013. There will not be a client update for TFS 2012.

@Julia - as I mentioned, there are few capabilities like search/replace, which are missing in the grid view. If these are critical, please create uservoice items for them.

@Toby - you are referring to the Offline Execution scenario - please mark the corresponding uservoice item (http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3596154-offline-test-execution-allow-users-to-execute-tes)

• TobyToby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree you need excel integration. Using the Team Web Access still requires users to have an expensive license to complete tests. Allowing UAT users to SIMPLY use excel to run the test and mark the tests as completed and any comments, and to have these sync'd with TFS would be great. The options mentioned above is just another feature in TFS, which is not what this request is about. It is about EXCEL integration with TFS.

• JuliaJulia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While grid view is a nice feature, this request was specifically for EXCEL integration. Seems to me that you've developed a workaround. Excel features such as find & replace are not available. I don't find this to be a completed request.

• PhilPhil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are these changes exclusive to TFS 2012, or will there be a client update for TFS 2012 users?

And (many) thanks for including this feature! Many of us who are using MTM were definitely missing the ability to write our test cases in Excel...

• SrinivasSrinivas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are not looking for un-supported tools. We are looking forward to see these features integrated into the core product.

• Eric CarterEric Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just setup a TFS 2013 release candidate server and I began playing around with the test grid. Is there any way to bulk update test tests in the grid via excel. I have tabs and tabs of test cases in spreadsheets on my machine and I want a way to bulk upload the tabs from excel into test cases...without having to copy and paste dozens of times...that's error prone and slow. Is there any way to work with the grid in the excel program itself? I am running Excel 2010 but can install Excel 2013 if that version is required.

• Don.WilisDon.Wilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have all of these spreadsheets with test cases that have embedded formulas and generated sql statements, copying and pasting them into TFS test cases means I lose the formulas and have to manually update the excel spreadsheet and then re-import the changes into TFS. Is there any way to embed excel files into Test Steps (not the attachment of an excel file to a work item), but embedded the excel sheet from a work book?

• Sarah AdlerSarah Adler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our QA team relies heavily on excel and using formulas in excel spreadsheets for test data and test reporting. We've shown them MTM a number of times and they've opted not to use the tool because of it's lack of integration with excel. We want our testers more closely integrated with our developers and right not that means using excel spreadsheets on our sharepoint site. Please help our QA team by giving MTM hooks that work with excel.

• Camilo MottaCamilo Motta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UNDER REVIEW ·
        ADMIN
        Visual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded · Feb 8, 2012
        This is i the feature team’s backlog

Has this been selected yet????

• AdityaAditya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Product team, Any update on - mark test case pass/ fail status in Excel and upload to MTM directly. Are you releasing this feature any soon?

• EslickEslick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This inefficiency drives my team and me absolutely nuts. How can Microsoft not have Excel implemented yet a main competitor, HP Quality Center, easily works with spreadsheets? Amazingly short sighted!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's crazy that Team Explorer has better integration with Excel than MTM. Testers like me spend out entire days in excel and so coming to MTM 2012 was shocking at the dearth of excel integration. I wish I could vote this higher but I'm out of votes.

• Chris FChris F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on Better MTM integration with Test Plans | Test Suites. I want to bluck update area/iterations/owners/dates on multiple test plans from excel. I also want to be able to edit test steps in excel and publish those updates from Excel, along with being able to mark test runs as passing or failing from excel en mass.

• KenKen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really want the ability to IMPORT and EXPORT from MTM into Excel for Test Plan fields, Test Suite hierarchies, test cases (WITH Test Steps), and bulk update Test run results (resolution/triage/bug association). I also would love to have this report integrated into MTM: http://qastuff.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/simple-excel-dashboard-to-monitor-your-test-progress/.

As a Tester I live in excel all day long and I want EXCEL to be the main interface I use when working with TFS for testing purposes.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a concept Microsoft products integrating with each other! Who would have ever thought of that.

• IreneMIreneM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add ability to be able to upload new user story/test cases and link the test cases to the story - including test steps

• DJSurDJSur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel integration with MTM would make my (and my team's) work a bit easier. Hopefully this will come about soon? :)

• Sam RodneySam Rodney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like a way to have manual test case parameters be tried to an excel spread sheet.

I would like a way from MTM (NOT from Team Explorer) to be able to create excel based reports from my queries.

I also want to be able to have excel involved in updating multiple test run failures and resolutions.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base