I suggest you ...

Allow testers to edit test cases inside Manual Test Runner

After a test has been loaded into Test Runner, I often find that I have to make some changes to the test case while running it (some build changes, some corner cases etc). It is painful to switch back and forth between MTM (to edit test cases) and Test Runner (to run tests).

241 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Shankar SathiamurthiShankar Sathiamurthi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to edit test cases during manual test execution has been implemented already:

For doing this via Web based Test Runner, take a look at the following:
        http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2013-mar-4-vso

For doing this via client based Test Runner, take a look at the following:
        http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2012/11/07/edit-test-case-properties-directly-from-the-test-runner-of-microsoft-test-manager.aspx

-Ravi Shanker

• Ar4vstsautomationAr4vstsautomation commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As we are working in an agile model, we keep updating the test cases to match the changing requirements. Hope MS will consider it very seriously and help testers to write hassle free and effective test cases instantly by giving an option to save the changes made during run time, reflect immediately in test runner.

• Dan GawareckiDan Gawarecki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Answer is "Yes" to proposed constraint by"Anu MSFT" (on 7/26/2011).

Note that HP's "Quality Center" has had this capability for *years*. I was aghast when I found out MTM lacked this very basic feature- who writes a perfect test case the first time? There's often such a long time lag between writing the initial test case and executing it, that software has changed enough that test case must be updated to be truly useful.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@anu
        In some instances you want to update the expected results of the test case (the test step is a pass or failure). It would be nice if those changes could be persisted with my current test run and not only be available for the next time.
        From an auditing perspective (not sure this is very important though, it is not for me) could'nt there is a mix up on what the testers indicate as a pass/fail (the old value) and what he meant (the new value that he entered while editing during the run).

• Anu MSFTAnu MSFT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we were to implement this with a constraint that you won't be able to use the changes immediately in the same test run but can edit and save these changes for future runs, would that be an acceptable solution?

Feedback and Knowledge Base