I suggest you ...

Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

7,270 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chuck FieldsChuck Fields shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Per BornsjöPer Bornsjö shared a merged idea: Add support for .config transformation  ·   · 
    imatioimatio shared a merged idea: Add config transformations to app.config for Unit Test projects  ·   · 
    David BuckinghamDavid Buckingham shared a merged idea: Incorporate the SlowCheetah extension directly into Visual Studio.  ·   · 
    DevSlickDevSlick shared a merged idea: Add Slow Cheetah out of the box  ·   · 
    Nick V. Nick V. shared a merged idea: Option to debug/test using the build configuration's config transform.  ·   · 
    Scott.Scott. shared a merged idea: WinForm application choose app.config for debug based on configuration  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Update 7/30/2015 – A preview release of SlowCheetah for Visual Studio 2015 is available on the VS Gallery – https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/05bb50e3-c971-4613-9379-acae2cfe6f9e. Please let us know on our GitHub if you run into any issues – https://github.com/sayedihashimi/slow-cheetah. We will try to fix them as soon as possible. The preview only supports VS 2015, but we will be expanding that soon.

Hello. This suggestion has gained a great deal of momentum so we would like to share our plans to address configuration driven XML transforms in Visual Studio. We understand that this is potentially blocking many teams and projects from moving forward to Visual Studio 2015. While we will not be implementing this functionality in Visual Studio 2015 itself, we do plan to update the SlowCheetah extension to fully support Visual Studio 2015. Our long term plan, however, is to integrate this functionality into a future version of Visual Studio.

We will update the community when SlowCheetah has been updated with support for Visual Studio 2015.

Will Buik,
    Visual Studio – VS IDE Project and Build Team

477 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PiotrPiotr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous: well I guess John Saunders really does not get it, what is sad is that in the .NET community I meet a lot of people like him that try to feed others with this attitude (mostly coming from MS I suppose) which is only causing harm and promoting wrong mindset among developers..

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

John is that a serious question?

Well, if it honestly is then there are so many answers, but I will provide the most obvious which is that most developers are still not aware of this plugin and have been forced to come up with other ways to solve this issue. Custom build scripts, batch files, batch files, team city, I have seen a plethora of other solutions (ranging from clever to absolutely hideous).

Your frankly glib and short cited response 'well there is a solution out there already so why bother' is symptomatic of MS attitude (I would guess you probably work for them) and has led to millions of wasted hours in writing boiler plate deployment code, CI issues and fixing of release bugs thanks to config errors and a multitude of non standard approaches to a day to day issue.

The fact that someone at ms implemented this for web.config and then didn't bother or wasn't allowed to expand it to XML or just app.config showed a massive lack of understanding of what professional developers really need.

Instead they were changing icons to grey (despite negative feedback) and captialising fonts? And you sit there telling me this would be a waste of time? You are not a professional developer.

There are so many other answers to your question but yea they are all pretty obvious

• John SaundersJohn Saunders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@anonymous, why do want Microsoft to waste resources on a problem which already has a solution? Only with the withdrawal of support did it become necessary for Microsoft to spend resources.

Will Buik I would like an answer to my last question, why has it taken the author to stop supporting slow cheetah for you to change your mind and support this most requested feature? Why is it not built in like it is for web.config?

While this is welcome news, it just blows my mind that this was not even part of your plans for 2015!? Why not, how could you ignore your users for so many years?

Every developer I know relies on slow cheetah and you guys at MS must surely use it too? It should have been an integral part of the msbuild and visual studio project environment from the start.

Please stop adding themes and new icons and deliver real beneficial tools.

• Tudor TurcuTudor Turcu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A similar config transform should exist and should be built-in in the new JSON-based configuration system that will replaced the current XML config files in .NET.
        MSBuild, csproj and XML .configs will become obsolete in the future, but the core problem solevd by Slow Cheetah remains.

Slow Cheetah is used quite expensively in our organization. Please support on future VS releases

• Jon DoddJon Dodd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a really useful add-on, please can you update it soon so that our team can move to VS2015.

Thank you!

• Sebastian SchoofSebastian Schoof commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very handy. Want to see this in vs2015. It's always a hassle to change things in de config for when you debug or want to release. Slow cheetah saves me alot of work.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24

Feedback and Knowledge Base