I suggest you ...

Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

2,558 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chuck FieldsChuck Fields shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Per BornsjöPer Bornsjö shared a merged idea: Add support for .config transformation  ·   · 
    imatioimatio shared a merged idea: Add config transformations to app.config for Unit Test projects  ·   · 
    David BuckinghamDavid Buckingham shared a merged idea: Incorporate the SlowCheetah extension directly into Visual Studio.  ·   · 
    DevSlickDevSlick shared a merged idea: Add Slow Cheetah out of the box  ·   · 
    Nick V. Nick V. shared a merged idea: Option to debug/test using the build configuration's config transform.  ·   · 
    Scott.Scott. shared a merged idea: WinForm application choose app.config for debug based on configuration  ·   · 

184 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • William BosackerWilliam Bosacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just one more of those things that VS should have included out-of-the-box, but Microsoft screwed up as usual. Since the author of SlowCheetah has announced that he can no longer support it, and it does have some compatibility issues, this *MUST* be added to the core design of VS projects. This has be available for web.config files for quite some time, and there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be expanded to every .config file that an application may have (this includes multiple .config files per project).

• Robert HuntRobert Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with previous comments made. Slow Cheetah (or something like it) is essentially for cleanly deploying to different environments. Without it, we're back to pre and post build hacks.

• Graham EadesGraham Eades commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please integrate the SlowCheetah project into VS. The work has been done and this is a crucial tool for CI or anyone else having to migrate applications across many environments. With all the wonderful tools that have been included in vanilla VS this one should be a no brainer! If nothing else, at least integrate it into the power tools project.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having build configuration transformations is crucial for keeping our entire system in sync upon CI build. My solution contains multiple project types (windows services, MVC apps, WCF services) that all need to be configured in a consistent manner for different customers. This type of functionality (currently provided by SlowCheetah) is crucial to that end.

• Mark LintellMark Lintell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely its a no brainer. The functionality of the SlowCheetah extension should be included in the vanilla version of Visual Studio! MS please pick this up!

• LennyKLennyK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the most useful VS add-ins I've ever seen! Please continue support!

• Paul CoffeyPaul Coffey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature. Not having config transforms in WPF, and other project types, is a real pain for deployment and continuous integration.

• Wade SharpWade Sharp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS please pick this up. There are so many needs to have transforms on other file types other than web config and app config. You allow us to extract appsettings and connectionStrings and other sections, however you will not support adding transforms on them??? This is a must have extension or must be added to VS2014.

• Kurt SwendsonKurt Swendson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I usually see addins eventually become part of visual studio later on. I'm disappointed to see this one thrown away. I use this in my organization all the time for continuous integration and production deployments. Don't throw this valuable thing away!

• Rich OttRich Ott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We currently use SlowCheetah for this functionality in many different internal projects as a huge timesaver in our deployments to multiple diverse environments. With that project coming to an end, this is critical functionality that Visual Studio needs to have available moving forward.

• Pete CouplandPete Coupland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is surprising that such a critical feature for so many does not ship with Visual Studio yet. Will someone provide an MS product management contact who will hear feedback about the business impact from the inability to further use SlowCheetah in upcoming releases of Visual Studio?

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add transforms other file types. I keep my logging config separate from the web.config so I can change log levels in production without having to cause the app pool to restart and dropping all users. Having to manually deploy the config and then edit the settings is inviting problems.

• Sathyan VaradarajSathyan Varadaraj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've used this feature for a couple of years and can't imagine not having it. Please add this to future versions of VS.

• Glenn HoeppnerGlenn Hoeppner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand how this has been overlooked for other types of web apps. Anyone who does desktop development and has different build configurations could make use of this functionality. Without this (or Slow Cheetah) we're stuck with pre/post-build hacks for our transforms.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely essential for deploying to multiple environments! Please add it to VS201x

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base