I suggest you ...

Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

1,914 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chuck FieldsChuck Fields shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Per BornsjöPer Bornsjö shared a merged idea: Add support for .config transformation  ·   · 
    imatioimatio shared a merged idea: Add config transformations to app.config for Unit Test projects  ·   · 
    David BuckinghamDavid Buckingham shared a merged idea: Incorporate the SlowCheetah extension directly into Visual Studio.  ·   · 
    DevSlickDevSlick shared a merged idea: Add Slow Cheetah out of the box  ·   · 
    Nick V. Nick V. shared a merged idea: Option to debug/test using the build configuration's config transform.  ·   · 
    Scott.Scott. shared a merged idea: WinForm application choose app.config for debug based on configuration  ·   · 

129 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe KennedyJoe Kennedy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has always amazed me that this functionality does not exist in Visual Studio. With each new release I eagerly check, thinking that surely it must have made it into this release. With the demise of Slow Cheetah (thanks for all your hard work over the years), this is a must for Visual Studio 2014. I've given this two votes and I remain hopeful that someone will sit up and take notice soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this happen. Now that slow cheetah is shutting down we need an alternative

Config transformations are crucially important in a test-release cycle. I can't understand why this is not a feature of VS.

• Nathan RistoNathan Risto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Insane. Absolutely insane that Microsoft hasn't yet recognized this hole in their processes surrounding development and deployment and integrated this functionality already.

I don't get with all their intelligence and innovation in other areas how they can let certain and obvious flaws go on for years, content letting others provide the solutions for them.

If you want Visual Studio 2013 to become the Windows XP of the Microsoft IDEs, don't bother putting in this functionality into anything newer. Most will gladly give up yet another feature reduction release to keep slow cheetah functionality.

• Biju JacobBiju Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Transformation of config files are life saver for developers, now slowcheetah is going this is a must have for VS

I've sortof taken SlowCheetah for granted... It fills that void in small non-web app development where a build robust build process would be overkill. The simplicity of config transforms make development/deployment more accessible to people just learning the MS development ecosystem.
        Any C# developer can win the my IDE could beat up your IDE argument against... well... any other IDE for any other language. Keeping with that tradition of a superior IDE,seems like non-web config transformations should be baked in.
        If the VS team hasn't heard much demand for this, its only because SlowCheetah has done a great job of filling the gap.

• Ryan AdlerRyan Adler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is hard to believe that this has not yet been implemented directly in VS. I cannot live without this during development, and now that SlowCheetah is going away, my productivity, especially in debugging issues which are environment/configuration-specific will be seriously impacted.

What was the reason not to support transformations for non-Web configs in the first place?

• Dirk RombautsDirk Rombauts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Config transformations are a real life-saver in many situations, and SlowCheetah extends this beyond the web.config "world". It would be great if Visual Studio natively supports all that.

• Stephen WaltersStephen Walters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a necessity in modern development environments. It's amazed me that it wasn't integrated by MS already. batch files and post build events don't cut it. Please add this functionality, bribe if you have too! Other wise we won't be upgrading to 2014 until we have a solution.

• Mike BeachMike Beach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even as a relatively small company we have development, test and production environments. The transform capability provided by SlowCheetah are used in every piece of code we build. We consider it a critical capability and really don't want to try and figure out another way to support the universal enterprise environment of development, test, production and more.

SlowCheetah has definitely been helpful. I would really appreciate if it is included in VS14. Transforming app.config files too will be helpful.

• Simon RoodtSimon Roodt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Studio has evolved over many many years to be a great product, but Microsoft has never truly supported ENTERPRISE development, through it's lack of support for multiple environments (DEV, SIT, UAT, PROD etc). I think it's about time the great work done on SlowCheetah is incorprated into the next release of VS. I mean come-on, if you can support it for web.config, surely it's easy to support for other config and xml files. The ability to create transforms for different build configurations and different publishing targets is INVALUABLE.

• ManusManus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since SlowCheetah will not be upgraded for VS14, this is a must-have feature for us, which, IMHO, should have been in VS in the first place...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base