I suggest you ...

Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

1,698 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chuck FieldsChuck Fields shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Per BornsjöPer Bornsjö shared a merged idea: Add support for .config transformation  ·   · 
    imatioimatio shared a merged idea: Add config transformations to app.config for Unit Test projects  ·   · 
    David BuckinghamDavid Buckingham shared a merged idea: Incorporate the SlowCheetah extension directly into Visual Studio.  ·   · 
    DevSlickDevSlick shared a merged idea: Add Slow Cheetah out of the box  ·   · 
    Nick V. Nick V. shared a merged idea: Option to debug/test using the build configuration's config transform.  ·   · 
    Scott.Scott. shared a merged idea: WinForm application choose app.config for debug based on configuration  ·   · 

108 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KenKen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have pointed out, SlowCheetah will not be supporting VS14. SlowCheetah will therefore NOT be a solution in vNext. This will prevent companies such as mine from moving to VS14 as it's an essential part of our CI and deployment strategies. SlowCheetah was only filling a gap left by the VS team that shouldn't have been there in the first place. This needs to be converted to an actual VS feature rather than an extension that was maintained by one of Microsoft's employees in his free time without receiving payment for his work that made up for their shortcomings and allowed VS and MSBuild to be viable.

• JBaltikaJBaltika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential VS and .NET plugin. The without build transforms we are back to dark ages ...

• Ian BIan B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I forget that configuration transforms are not the norm. I've used Slow Cheetah for a long while now and believe that it should be part of the core. It is generally the first thing I install after doing a VS install and on all new projects.

Please make it mark if the core.

• Bob GearBob Gear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Firstly, big thanks to Sayed for creating such a great add-on, which I use in all my CI builds.

I think Microsoft have really dropped the ball in only providing transforms for web configurations but not for the other types; this lack will definitely slow (or even halt) my adoption of the latest Visual Studio because I need transforms for my build process more than I need a new IDE.

• Mike VickersMike Vickers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, I have used this in several projects and it has proven to be quite useful - Especially in conjunction with TFS. Where else would we store the deployment-specific configurations that would also be self-documenting?

• Alon GolubAlon Golub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed with most of the other comments, this should have bee included from the get-go.

• Giorgio OrizioGiorgio Orizio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is such a no-brainer. Anybody who has ever dealt with deploying to different servers understands how critical this tool is. It alleviates the pain and the enormous manual work that needs to be done to accommodate all the different target environments.
        Actually, I would expect this to be natively included within VS. It should not be even an add-on.
        The same functionality is there for Web Projects why shouldn’t be available for others as well?

• Jeff HuntsmanJeff Huntsman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This extension is GREAT and an INVALUEABLE asset to the projects at my company, and I'm sure to many, many others also. Microsoft...WTF?? Add this to Visual Studio, there is no excuse not to have this support in the .NET flagship IDE!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Sayed, great extension. I would definitely like to see the VS team adopt transforms on any file.

• Steve MSteve M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SlowCheetah has been absolutely fantastic, and Sayed has been outstanding in creating and updating such a tool. This functionality is long-needed in Visual Studio, as well as MSBUILD, for local project builds and CI products. Easily worth three votes from me!

• Paul WhitePaul White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The SlowCheetah extension has been invaluable to me in ensuring all types of .config files are correctly setup for each deployment environment. I have recommended it to all the clients I have worked for over the last few years since I first heard about it on Scott Hanselman's blog. Everyone has been impressed with it and it would be a shame for its development not to continue.

• Oscar MoraOscar Mora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe you are dropping support for this extremely important tool. This has been a corner stone in our deployment process because the different environment configurations stay with the code, NOT within an external deployment tool. If you don't support it in VS 14 at least you should provide an alternative to .config transforms.

The SlowCheetah extension has filled a gap in the VisualStudio tooling for years. This is a must have for automated deployments and needed to provide a consistent experience for transforming .config files within VisualStudio and MSBuild.

I never really understood why this was an option for web style projects but not available for other project types. Please support the web.config transforms controlled by Configuration Management.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base