I suggest you ...

Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

4,694 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chuck FieldsChuck Fields shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Per BornsjöPer Bornsjö shared a merged idea: Add support for .config transformation  ·   · 
    imatioimatio shared a merged idea: Add config transformations to app.config for Unit Test projects  ·   · 
    David BuckinghamDavid Buckingham shared a merged idea: Incorporate the SlowCheetah extension directly into Visual Studio.  ·   · 
    DevSlickDevSlick shared a merged idea: Add Slow Cheetah out of the box  ·   · 
    Nick V. Nick V. shared a merged idea: Option to debug/test using the build configuration's config transform.  ·   · 
    Scott.Scott. shared a merged idea: WinForm application choose app.config for debug based on configuration  ·   · 

351 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kenneth LeFebvreKenneth LeFebvre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot believe that you haven't added this already!

If there is a better way to manage configuration changes across environments, then please educate us. What do you do, within Microsoft?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Managing different app.config files for different environments is an extremely useful feature to have, and the fact that it already exists for web projects shows that someone as MS agrees. Please take the next logical step and open up these transforms for other project-types!

• Ilya GotfrydIlya Gotfryd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My whole deployment system depends on presence of this feature. Very convenient and desperately needed feature. Please put it in.

• RudiRudi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of those 'low hanging fruit' features that should be part of a quarterly update. Just add it already! Or are we still debating the ALL CAPS thing?

This is one of the things that actually make it possible to use Visual Studio for professional purposes with multiple environments. It really needs to get official support! Visual Studio/MSBuild is great for the single developer, but it's always been so-so as far as configuration and deployment is concerned.

Working in a highly regulated industry, my team developed a full CI process using TFS and SlowCheetah to deal with the typical pitfalls that large organizations suffer in the area of release management. SlowCheetah is absolutly critical in the CI process as it lets the build system target any environment without hacks to pick and choose the right config files.

I strongly urge you to consider adding this feature to Visual Studio 2014. As referenced by the comments and the votes, this is a feature that the Visual Studio community needs. I appreciate that Chuck and Sayed produced something to fill the gap.
        Without SlowCheetah style transforms in Visual Studio 2014 I will not allow any development team member to upgrade.

it is imperative that all configuration on a per environment basis are stored in source control

Holy cow, REALLY sad SlowCheeta development is stopping. Really too bad, and pretty scary when the transition to VisualStudio 2014 comes.

This is quite troubling from a release-management scenario, particularly on Azure. WebJobs have been hugely helpful in quickly architecting prototypes and small one-offs, and invaluable in adding scheduled tasks to the cloud.

The lack of transforms for App.Configs really neuters this approach.

• Gary BarclayGary Barclay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clearly, this should have been included in Visual Studio for a number of years - I'm amazed it's still not available. Please add this in.

• Ewout de BoerEwout de Boer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And create an option that the transformations run on a rebuild. We currently use the transformations to for production, staging and test environments, but also for developer specific items. For example all developers have their own database, for unit, integration and manual testing. All developers on the team have their own configuration setting and tranform file(s)

We currently have the transformations working on a rebuild on all types of project types, but this requires manual changes to the project file.

This is functionality that is an ABSOLUTE MUST!

Any developer that has ever worked on a client project with a 2K line web.config will completely agree.

Having separate configuration files is essential from an organizational point of view and you cannot use transformations if you want to do this.

Slow Cheetah solved all these issues.

This functionality should have been in Visual Studio a long time ago.

• CarlCarl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be a feature now that Slow Cheetah won't be supported on the newer versions of VS

• Scott KlueppelScott Klueppel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I never understood why this hasn't been a part of VS from the first day config transform came out. I can't live without these features. Please add this to VS proper.

• KgriKgri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were looking to use transformed config files, but while our application is web and MVC, there are crucial console mode parts too. Therefore, we were unable to use the Transform features in VS2013 and have to stick to doing all the config handling manually. Really hope the VS Team adds this feature for all project types.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18

Feedback and Knowledge Base