I suggest you ...

Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

3,514 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chuck FieldsChuck Fields shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Per BornsjöPer Bornsjö shared a merged idea: Add support for .config transformation  ·   · 
    imatioimatio shared a merged idea: Add config transformations to app.config for Unit Test projects  ·   · 
    David BuckinghamDavid Buckingham shared a merged idea: Incorporate the SlowCheetah extension directly into Visual Studio.  ·   · 
    DevSlickDevSlick shared a merged idea: Add Slow Cheetah out of the box  ·   · 
    Nick V. Nick V. shared a merged idea: Option to debug/test using the build configuration's config transform.  ·   · 
    Scott.Scott. shared a merged idea: WinForm application choose app.config for debug based on configuration  ·   · 

266 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Erin LoyErin Loy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please incorporate config transforms into VS 14! This is an absolutely critical feature that would be sorely missed.

• RobertRobert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why doesn't VS already have this feature? It's been in Web.Config for a long time. We really need it in app.configs as well.

• YuriYuri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slowcheetah is a must-have for enterprise development setups with multiple environments having different configurations. Please integrate its functionality to the core VS product.

• Andreas SchwarzAndreas Schwarz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've been using SlowCheetah for a while, and unfortunately this extension will go in maintenance mode. The functionalities it provided are a necessity for us, and we would like VS to integrate them by default.

• Mike JansenMike Jansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SlowCheetah rocks. This functionality makes a ton of sense to have in the core VS product. For any non-trivial project this functionality just makes sense. I don't know how many hours my co-workers and I have wasted because somebody's development settings got committed to source control.

• Mickaël NivetMickaël Nivet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having multiple target environment and not just debug and release is a reality in a lot of projects.
        I've even experienced projects with multiple release mode (in ^particular Azure or not Azure)

Furthermore, with NuGet we now saw a lot of projects that try to target multiple frameworks with only one project files. And it's not website projects at all.

This feature is key to help a lot of developers and teams (including mine) that goes in those directions.

• Jan SandquistJan Sandquist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We make extensive use of config transforms (incl preview) and would like to see this supported out of the box for different project types, not only web.config files.

Also, the build configurations should not be the basis for what transform files are added automatically (like Debug/Release). Debug/Release transforms are less important than actual deploy targets/environments (like the ones you add in Web Publish).

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must-have for Visual Studio, please keep it supported.

• AA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Config transforms should be available in a consistent manner for all projects types and any .config file. (Our team makes extensive use of SlowCheetah.)

• Mark BowserMark Bowser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to transform config files in virtually every project I work on. Its a must have if you want to get continuous integration set up for websites.

• Randy HongoRandy Hongo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature really needs to be included as part of Visual Studio going forward. Configuration transformation is needed in virtually any project. It should not be something that devs should have to spend time doing on their own or rely on a third party.

• Nathan ReidNathan Reid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Config transforms as provided by SlowCheetah is invaluable to my company and is used heavily in our build processes. We need this feature in VS 14!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base