I suggest you ...

Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

5,221 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chuck FieldsChuck Fields shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Per BornsjöPer Bornsjö shared a merged idea: Add support for .config transformation  ·   · 
    imatioimatio shared a merged idea: Add config transformations to app.config for Unit Test projects  ·   · 
    David BuckinghamDavid Buckingham shared a merged idea: Incorporate the SlowCheetah extension directly into Visual Studio.  ·   · 
    DevSlickDevSlick shared a merged idea: Add Slow Cheetah out of the box  ·   · 
    Nick V. Nick V. shared a merged idea: Option to debug/test using the build configuration's config transform.  ·   · 
    Scott.Scott. shared a merged idea: WinForm application choose app.config for debug based on configuration  ·   · 

388 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David MeredithDavid Meredith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We don't use it in production per se, but we use it to build our production systems. Must have! Please!

• John Jason MonroeJohn Jason Monroe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slow Cheetah should have been incorporated into VS a long time ago. It is a useful tool that saves a lot of time and hassle.

• Jay ZelosJay Zelos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential for many of our products and could delay us moving to VS2014. This is far more useful to us than many of the new features including in 2014.

• Mike M.Mike M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This functionality should be included in VS by default. The fact it is only available for web applications out of the box is not acceptable.

• Matt S.Matt S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this. Slow Cheetah allows us to create multiple transforms for console apps, WPF apps, and so on. This is absolutely necessary for publishing based on configuration.

• Victor LindseyVictor Lindsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Put my vote in too! This feature should be available for ANY XML-styled document, as such are used for all sorts of configurations in the .Net Framework development community. So far, the SlowCheetah has worked pretty well and I cannot think of why the Visual Studio developers have ignored this for so long. It is as though the web developers, using such for themselves on just web.config, have been spurned by all other developers at Microsoft, and the feature is suffering from "not invented here" for the other departments. I will be sorry to lose this for Visual Studio 2015 since further development by SlowCheetah has ended.

• John FolleyJohn Folley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Used SlowCheetah before as this allowed us to break up the config file into multiple files, making it easier to track changes in source control.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use SlowCheetah for this but support is going away for VS2014.

• ShashiShashi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add support for WPF project types and/or Windows Store Apps

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clearly this is important functionality that needs official support. It seems very strange MS thinks this is important for web projects but not other project types.

• Gavin GreigGavin Greig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This transformation is essential functionality, especially now that the developer of Slow Cheetah has retired his tool. It makes little sense that it exists for Web.config files and yet not for other files (such as App.config!) . I understand that extending it beyond XML would be a significant task, but please enable it for other XML files.

• Martin IvesMartin Ives commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has formed the basis of my .Net project development and builds for the last four years.

I am shocked that this is not being taken forward.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Feedback and Knowledge Base