I suggest you ...

Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

4,067 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chuck FieldsChuck Fields shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Per BornsjöPer Bornsjö shared a merged idea: Add support for .config transformation  ·   · 
    imatioimatio shared a merged idea: Add config transformations to app.config for Unit Test projects  ·   · 
    David BuckinghamDavid Buckingham shared a merged idea: Incorporate the SlowCheetah extension directly into Visual Studio.  ·   · 
    DevSlickDevSlick shared a merged idea: Add Slow Cheetah out of the box  ·   · 
    Nick V. Nick V. shared a merged idea: Option to debug/test using the build configuration's config transform.  ·   · 
    Scott.Scott. shared a merged idea: WinForm application choose app.config for debug based on configuration  ·   · 

300 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David FaivreDavid Faivre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really important for Azure WebJob console projects that need different configurations in different deployment environments.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I rely on SlowCheetah and will miss this functionality in VS 2014 when SlowCheetah is no longer supported.

• Mary HarveyMary Harvey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical functionality to manage builds and releases across environments without manually changing configurations - very messy and error prone.

With SlowCheetah entering maintenance mode, this capability becomes even more necessary as a built-id feature of Visual Studio.

Agreeing with Richard Schaefer...

The XML Transform capability for web.config MUST be extendable to any .config file in Visual Studio. The capabilities of SlowCheetah MUST be included in versions of Visual Studio beyond VS 2013.

I want to be able to automate a "Drop folder" for my client's IT team so that they won't need to hand modify config files for different environments, which is the source of many errors. I can accomplish this today for the services and MVC front-end, but there is a command-line maintenance program that also gets deployed, and I currently have no way to give them a simple drop folder like I can with the web projects. So now the different components of the solution have far different deployment approaches. Enabling app.config transforms would be a good first step toward me simply publishing the utility program to a drop folder like everything else.

• Richard SchaeferRichard Schaefer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The XML Transform capability for web.config MUST be extendable to any .config file in Visual Studio. The capabilities of SlowCheetah MUST be included in versions of Visual Studio beyond VS 2013.

• kumarkumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a must have can't imagine that VS does not have it inbuild by default.

Unbelievable that this still has not been implemented. Please focus on what real developers want rather than what the marketing department are telling you.

• Shaun WilsonShaun Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as long as there isn't a "force-fed assumption" that a deployment config warrants a config transform when scaffolding configs. i am so sick of cleaning up unnecessary transforms just because we deploy a product to 8 different centers.

We also use on Enterprise Build 2012, fortune 500 company.
        Please don't make me use post build scripts and batch files again...that was horrid!

We use Slow Cheetah for all our Enterprise Builds and it works wonderful. We use it to make out DEV/UAT/PROD have different configs. You must include with VS 2014 as many people and corps have come to rely on this feature.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

Feedback and Knowledge Base