I suggest you ...

Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

5,769 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chuck FieldsChuck Fields shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Per BornsjöPer Bornsjö shared a merged idea: Add support for .config transformation  ·   · 
    imatioimatio shared a merged idea: Add config transformations to app.config for Unit Test projects  ·   · 
    David BuckinghamDavid Buckingham shared a merged idea: Incorporate the SlowCheetah extension directly into Visual Studio.  ·   · 
    DevSlickDevSlick shared a merged idea: Add Slow Cheetah out of the box  ·   · 
    Nick V. Nick V. shared a merged idea: Option to debug/test using the build configuration's config transform.  ·   · 
    Scott.Scott. shared a merged idea: WinForm application choose app.config for debug based on configuration  ·   · 

423 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew HelgelandAndrew Helgeland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this, we are going to be SOL without it and will never be able to move to future Visual Studio versions if SlowCheetah is not going to be supported..

• AMSAMS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the Slow Cheetah library, which works, but it looks like the owner has this in maintenance mode. This is functionality that is handy and needed as a directly supported feature in VS....

• YossiYossi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm adding my vote to this one as well. Slowcheetah has been a massive help for us.

• Eric BlatzEric Blatz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on guys, nobody wants to go back and rewrite all of their configs to move to VS14. There is absolutely no distinction between web and app configuration that justifies having the transforms in web but not in app to begin with. I don't understand how things got in to this situation to begin with.

• Trent BallewTrent Ballew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use SlowCheetah to add config transforms to multiple config types like nlog configs as well as app.config files for console apps. Please add this capability in Visual Studio to support transforms for any xml-based file.

• TimtekTimtek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the developers of plugins that create this functionality stopping to update for new versions of VS.
        It is imperative that this feature be created as native functionality or that MS take over SlowCheetah and maintain it for VS-2015.

Until it is, no developer in my organisation would move to a new version of visual studio, as projects wont work.... no upgrade to new version - no need for a new license - no revenue for MS.

Shooting yourselves in the foot :)

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The publish functionality for a non web project is sorely lacking, this feature is the biggest pain point for that category.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use SlowCheetah in every single one of my web and client applications! I consider it indispensable. I agree that it should be a built-in feature, but it isn't. I would very much like to see SlowCheetah continued by someone until it becomes one.

• Keri ParmeterKeri Parmeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand how this isn't already a feature. We would use this DAILY. It's critical for environment-specific settings for projects with more than just a website component.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base