I suggest you ...

coded ui

Enhance Coded UI Test to include the many common features found in commercial-off-the-shelf software test automation packages like SmartBear's Test Complete. These packages typically feature very rich functionality in mapping and managing UI control objects, whereas Coded UI does not. Packages like Test Complete also boast an impressive list of technologies with which it is compatible. Coded UI is limited in this respect as well.

676 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael AdamsMichael Adams shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Saravana SivaramanSaravana Sivaraman shared a merged idea: Provide the functionality of cut and paste objects in the UIMap  ·   · 

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Saide FolwetSaide Folwet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like to see better support for dynamically changing window titles in CodedUI. It's really hard to have to work with automating applications when the title bar is always changing and codedui doesn't have support for .contains in a simple and straightforward manner. See this post here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/de7e7d37-4775-4218-9601-0ecf138a207c/best-practice-using-dynamically-changing-window-captions-that-impact-windowtitlesadd-search?forum=vsautotest

• Jim Edwards (TESCO)Jim Edwards (TESCO) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really wish it was easier to debug broken codedui tests. I find that I am constantly having to change the search properties after each recorded step to try and figure out why a control couldn't be located. It's tedious and it leads to mistakes when trying to record specific steps and validate that the steps work. It would be great to have a visualization or heads up display while the test is executing showing me what the control was looking for and being able to re-run the test several times to quickly and easily get it to work repeatedly.

• Arun RamArun Ram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CodedUI is really painful, complex, and not at all easy to work with, not to mention lacking any real documentation of data-driven tests.

I want the ease of use of UFT with the user friendliness of TestComplete, and the open community of Selenium.

Is there a list of improvements from VS 2012 to VS 2013 for codedui? We are still on VS 2012 and from a cursory look around it doesn't look like there's been improvement.

This uservoice item was opened in July of 2011...it's been 3 years surely there's been improvements to codedui, but what?

• Yong WangYong Wang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CodedUI should generate a independent COM dll such that autoIt and ruby can load the COM and execute codedUI Automation in the COM. If this function already exist, please point me to the URL

Thanks,

• Jim HazenJim Hazen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not trying to dog pile on this thread, but as someone who has been using these types of tools since 1991 I have to say that Coded UI is missing the target badly. The way the Generate Code functionality just spits code all over and creating Classes out of everything is just nuts. The UIMap is a nightmare unto itself too.

This reminds me of the old MS-Test/Visual Test tool that was just a mess too. You guys did a decent job with the Load/Performance Test tool/functionality (and it looks kinda like LoadRunner, which is good), but you need to go look at QTP/UFT and TestComplete for a model of what a 'real' test automation is and how it does its work.

I'm working with a client now on automation of their testing, and as I get deeper into VS 2012 Coded UI and how it does things, and how to do some things within it I am almost to the point of saying punt and go with TestComplete or QTP/UFT.

I don't need some 'automagical' tool like some other vendors are now pushing, but I need something better than this that allows me to get my work going quickly and not have to figure out where the **** it is putting code when I use Generate Code to prototype my test script structure.

• VijayVijay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give support to Coded UI to record Menu and Sub menu items in window forms application. Currently CodedUI does not record any mouse clicks on Menu /Sub menu items. This is a basic requirement to create scripts on winforms application. I am surprised this support isn't available in CodedUI

• Andrew.RerovickAndrew.Rerovick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I googled and found this post when I was looking to edit an action recording. Is there a way to edit an account recording after it's been saved? I know I can edit the steps while recording but I have test cases with 25-50 steps so it becomes challenging to have to re-record all the steps from the beginning.

Also it would be very nice if there was a way with the codedui tooling to automatically generate a UI Map with all of the controls on the screen being included in the UIMap instead of manually having to map each control.

• Oline VanderbugOline Vanderbug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really want a way to be able to edit action recordings in MTM after I spend like 3 or 4 hours recording an action recording for a test case that has 300+ steps. Working with Action Recordings is very difficult in VS 2012.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Have been using Coded Ui from last two years i am felling comfortable working with this tool,
        we have automated two big applications,
        even when i started working with Coded Ui i don't know any thing about C # when when you get used to then it is really easy and maintainable i am not talking about record and play back.

• Diwan BishtDiwan Bisht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1- Does VSTS-Codded UI has any Object Spy feature.

2- Does it has any Descriptive Programming technique like QTP (there are some object which Codded UI is not able to record) so that can we use Descritipve programming like QTP?

Thanks in Advance....

• Richard MorisonRichard Morison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shubhra, you guys are a dollar short and a day late. Codedui is very limited and not surprisingly even teams at Microsoft haven't adopted Codedui but have instead stayed on Quality Center. Seriously try to work with the object graph in codedui for multi-screen applications is far too difficult. Have to be a senior level C# programmer to work with test automation means that codedui costs dramatically more than the equivalent QA/BA staff we can hire and have QTP test automation created. And don't point me to your action recording technology. Action Recordings are so limited the technology is nearly useless..

• Shubhra Maji MSFTShubhra Maji MSFT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Visual Studio 2012 we made an effort to simplify the user interface to give people more room for their own work and to make the IDE more productive. Part of this simplification was to not show many toolbar options. In case you are wondering how to get the test Toolbar back, please refer to Chuck's post on ALM blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2012/09/11/visual-studio-2012-where-is-the-test-toolbar-couldn-t-find-it-anywhere.aspx

We have added backlog items to add a similar data wizard in Coded UI Test in upcoming updates. Please let us know through comments if the missing data wizard is a blocker for you so we can prioritize accordingly.

• Shubhra Maji MSFTShubhra Maji MSFT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Samuel: You may want to look at the latest integration of Logigear's TestArchitect with VS ALM

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2012/09/17/testarchitect-by-logigear-for-visual-studio-offers-module-based-keyword-test-authoring-for-visual-studio-2012.aspx
        TestArchitect for Visual Studio uses module-based keyword test authoring to automate coded UI tests in Visual Studio 2012. By eliminating coding, keyword based testing allows more team members to be involved in test design and execution.
        Feel free to post your comments and further asks on the blog comment thread

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mathew Aniyan(MSFT) commented · October 21, 2011 5:53 a.m. · Flag as inappropriate · Delete
        The product team is considering a proposal to address this request. I am looking for users to validate this proposal."

So after nearly a year of looking at these feature requests you guys come out with this nasty looking metro version that not only has nothing requested in your own forums and you've removed functionality that was in 2010. I'm referring to the removal of the data wizard and the test toolbar.
        When are you guys going to get serious about this tool!!!! I can't think of one single reason to move to 2012.
        You guys should either get serious about this tool or sell it off to someone else like you did Visual Test. I would have hoped lessons would have been learned from that failed experiment but I guess NOT!

• Sam RodneySam Rodney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to do keyword based UI testing and to be able to have the UI automation run against Java (for android) and IOS (for Iphone).

We've looked at LogiGear's TestArchitect but it doesn't integrate cleanly with Team Build and Lab Management.

We've looked at Squish from Frog Logic but it's SUPER expensive and doesn't integrate into MTM's manual tester runner action recordings.

• Samuel DrumondSamuel Drumond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I want QTP type functionality with CodedUI. Working with UI Maps shouldn't be the job of developers...it should be something that manual testers are able to do. I'd like to have keyword based testing that's better than what logigear makes. Test Architect (http://www.testarchitect.com/)sort of works but has a limited feature set and doesn't tie in easily with Team Build.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base