I suggest you ...

Allow the evaluation of lambda expressions while debugging

Allow Quick Watch and other Debug functions to work with Lambda expressions.

"Expression cannot contain lambda expressions" makes this powerful language feature second-class within the IDE.

Especially for data intensive applications being able to write Lambda expressions in the Quick Watch, Watch, Immediate Windows and debug evaluation is a must have.

9,362 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matthew RowanMatthew Rowan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    IamStalkerIamStalker shared a merged idea: PLEASE!!!! Add Lamda Expression debugging possibilty, please!!!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Support lambdas in the immediate/watch window  ·   · 
    KoenKoen shared a merged idea: Allow use of lambda expressions in the watch, immediate, .. windows  ·   · 
    completed  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Hi,

This suggestion is complete. You can now debug lambda expression starting with Visual Studio 2015 Preview http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-downloads-vs

For more information, please, read: Support for debugging lambda expressions with Visual Studio 2015
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/11/12/support-for-debugging-lambda-expressions-with-visual-studio-2015.aspx

We are currently working on edit and continue support for Lambdas. I can’t give you an exact time frame as we are quality driven, but we’ll ship it as soon as it is ready so please keep following our 2015 announcements.
    There will also be an update on the related UserVoice item: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/4079440-edit-continue-allow-the-modification-of-lambda

If you have any feedback or questions for us, please, reach out through:
    Send-a-Smile (Visual Studio feedback tool)
    https://twitter.com/VS_Debugger
    vsdbgfb@microsoft.com
    commenting on the blog post

If you would like to follow news about the Visual Studio Debugger, please subscribe to our blog or to our twitter account.

Thanks for sharing this suggestion with us and for using Visual Studio!
    Maria Ghiondea
    Visual Studio Diagnostics

93 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently working on edit and continue support for Lambdas. I can't give you an exact time frame as we are quality driven, but we'll ship it as soon as it is ready so please keep following our 2015 announcements.
        There will also be an update on the related UserVoice item: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/4079440-edit-continue-allow-the-modification-of-lambda

Thanks!
        Maria Ghiondea
        Visual Studio Diagnostics

• ExSetExSet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not working in C# (MSVS2015 Preview) i am very disappointed !!!

• Milan JarošMilan Jaroš commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really great to know that you are also implementing what is important for us. :o) Thanks!

• DickyDicky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the updates and we are all looking forward to use it.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don give up ! Common Lisp compilers had such possibility from day one. I tired to restart my project every time i modified something in method with lambda function. You should rewrite everything indeed if it help to implement the feature!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very excited about this. This will save hours and hours of time. I hope you guys go all the way and replace the Immediate Window with the REPL that was in the earlier Roslyn preview. Great work!

• Allan LindqvistAllan Lindqvist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awesome news! running on rosyln is absolutely the way to go even if it's alot of work now, it will definitely be worth the wait :D
        will it still make it into v.next do you think?

• QwertieQwertie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're all glad you're working on this, but I find it puzzling that you guys didn't implement a stopgap solution, say, 5 years ago--something that would let you write lambdas but not closures and not new types. Yes, a simple "list.Where(x=>x.Foo > 100).Select(x=>x.Bar)" is VERY useful and it sounds like everything didn't have to be rewritten to support it.

It would have been independently useful (whether lambdas are supported or not) to be able to effectively change the DebuggerDisplay attribute from within the debugger itself, without changing the code or restarting the session.

• Thomas LevesqueThomas Levesque commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mickael L, I think you misunderstand what this is about. This is about supporting lambda expressions in Watches, Immediate Window etc. It's *not* about allowing edit and continue for lambdas ; you can already modify a method that contains lambdas, as long as you don't change the lambda itself.

• Mickael LMickael L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good news !
        I hope a lot developpers will stop thinking that lambdas don't have to be used because they can't debug them without restarting!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base