I suggest you ...

Bring back vertical toolbars

I really like being able to customize the toolbars with the commands I want (so please don't replace them with a 'fixed' ribbon!) but on older visual studio versions there was more flexibility in the customisation. On modern screens which are 16x9 there is a lack of vertical space but plenty of horizontal space. Toolbars across the top of the window use that valuable vertical space that could be showing lines of code, if I could run the toolbars down the left or right edges (as I do for the Windows Taskbar) I could reclaim that code space again, like I used to be able to do. Since they're now WPF based the rotation could work really well, with even the combo boxes properly rotated (as long as the dropdown part gets rotated back again!)

I also used to be able to mix toolbar buttons into the menu strip, again reclaiming otherwise wasted screen space and allowing for more code to be displayed.

29 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David NealeDavid Neale shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Massimiliano, that is a great tip. Not intuitive, but very effective and exactly what I was looking for.

• Massimiliano FerrariMassimiliano Ferrari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You already can :-)
        1) Right click the toolbar emply space
        2) click "customize"
        3) select the toolbar you want to make vertical
        4) click the button "Modify Selection"
        5) choose "Dock riglt" or "Dock Left"

bye, Max

• QwertieQwertie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can get around the limited vertical space by putting your favorite toolbar icons into the menu bar and then hiding the normal toolbars. (In VS2008 you could do this by drag & drop in Tools|Customize, but it's vastly more cumbersome in VSE2010).

• Chris FanninChris Fannin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is one thing they never took into consideration with the ribbon bar, etc: Us widescreen users actually lose vertical space compared to previous CRT dimensions (900 LCD vs. 1024 CRT). Being able to put customized toolbars wherever we want, including on the sides, would be helpful. This goes for any application that takes up vertical space.

Feedback and Knowledge Base