Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Knowing me, knowing you, a-haKnowing me, knowing you, a-ha shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: write Visual Studio in C++  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic, and the general interest has been around improving the performance of Visual Studio. With VS11 Beta out, we have seen significant improvements in performance.

At this point, we do not have plans to re-write the IDE in native code, and we are going to close out this idea and release your votes for you to apply elsewhere.

We have the performance forum (link is on the bottom of the right hand side of the main VS UserVoice page) where you can vote for specific performance ideas, without using up your 10 votes on the main forum.

thanks,
    Doug Turnure (MSFT) – Visual Studio PM

203 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DrPizzaDrPizza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the main criterion is that they must not be idiotic suggestions, so this issue is a massive failure in that regard.

• Knowing me, knowing you, a-haKnowing me, knowing you, a-ha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Doug Turnure - before I waste more time for interacting with MS via various websites (waste because there seems to be no impact nor will to do anything what C++ community wants), could you please answer to my question which I've already asked you number of times:
        What are the criteria for accepting/rejecting a suggestion?
        Regards

• Doug Turnure - msftAdminDoug Turnure - msft (Program Manager - Visual Studio, Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for giving us this feedback. Performance feedback is something that often requires details, and as such, we've set up a special performance forum to let people vote and categorize where they most want to see better performance. Please take a look at the blog post linked at the top of the forum, and help us prioritize next steps. http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/131389-visual-studio-performance

thanks!
        Doug Turnure - Visual Studio PM

• David RathboneDavid Rathbone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just remeber that programing in the .NET Framework is only for Microsoft products!
        So Microsoft should do a better job on its editor! (Faster with built in text editor)

By 2012 programing should move into the future with more cross platform function and less special code. After all you can now ask Google what happened in 1066 and your computer will give you a good answer. C, C#, C++ or VB.net should be able to do the same.

e.g. if traffic lights red then car stops...

Regards
        David Rathbone

• GuillaumeGuillaume commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please dear community members, don't amalgamate a performance problem with a technology preference or your point of view on a technology.

It seems to be a fact that some developpers have performance issues with VS2010 and native c++ project ( even if I am not facing that kind of problem myself).

This is a performance related issue.

This issue may or may not be related to the language used to write the IDE, but this is not a reason to fight about which language is good or not, which will last long or not.
        The VS team is open to suggestion ( this site is the best proof ) and will take note of our ideas, but only them are allowed to decide which language is relevant or not to write each module of the IDE.

In fact, but VS team would talk about that better than me, VS2010 is a mix of native and managed code.

• anubis_iranubis_ir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many ppl are still using C++?! Do they have enough right to decide anything against the whole community?!

• MuuMuu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Huh? Who cares how it's written. The current UI is blazing fast and that's the only thing i care about.

• Knowing me, knowing you, a-haKnowing me, knowing you, a-ha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Moderator I asked this question couple of times now, but you never replied so could you please this time answer and explain, WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA according to which a suggestion is being accepted/rejected?
        Thanks

• David ColeDavid Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I humbly suggest that it is not at all clear if WPF has a chance of outlasting C++. I happen to think that WPF and .NET will die long before C++. I think I am not alone.

• LaughingJohnLaughingJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@David Cole, indeed I am a c# developer (or fiesta driver as someone else commented). I hadn't realised the problem was specific to C++ so apologies for that.

It might be an idea for the suggestion to to be more specific.

As far as C# is concerned I've not noticed any major problems, even with large projects. There are occasional slow downs or crashes but not enough to be too much of a pain.

Hope MS fixes it for you!

@Alex any back up for what you’ve just said? And do you mind answering to the question: Are you "native" or "managed" developer? That would cast bit more light.
        Thanks

@Moderator I asked this question over a week ago but you never replied so could you please this time explain, WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA according to which a suggestion is being accepted/rejected?
        Thanks

• David ColeDavid Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"What about suggesting them to write a new IDE for C++ development instead?"

I would support this.

• FrislFrisl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about suggesting them to write a new IDE for C++ development instead?

@DrPizza
        Lunatic Entered Super Session. Patience, Increasingly Zealous Zebra Added Meat On Rear End. Virtually Everyone Guffawing and Giggling Inadvertently Emitted Sound.
        Oh, I forgot to tell you, read just CAPS.

Feedback and Knowledge Base