I suggest you ...

C# REPL - execute one-off C# code on the fly from within VS

I'd like to see a full read/eval/print loop for C# built into Visual Studio - much like F# Interactive, or Ruby's "irb".

When debugging, this would let you interact with the current state of the debugged application - like the Immediate Window does now, but more powerful (e.g. with support for lambdas).

When in design/editing mode, this would work a lot like LinqPad, but integrated into the IDE. It would let you evaluate expressions and execute multi-statement code blocks. This would let developers interactively experiment with their application classes ,.NET framework classes, and third-party APIs while writing code in Visual Studio.

431 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard BeierRichard Beier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Far FaagiraFar Faagira shared a merged idea: REPL  ·   · 

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kasey UhlenhuthKasey Uhlenhuth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jack and Shaun,

Unfortunately, the C# REPL (Interactive Window) will not be in-the-box for VS2015. We are working to deliver it as an out-of-the-box tool as close to RTM as we can (fingers crossed!). Our team is working hard to improve your debugging and editing experiences for VS2015 and we know that getting the REPL in your hands will be the icing on the cake. I will post any updates I can on the C# and Visual Basic blogs (links below)!

C# Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/csharpfaq/
        Visual Basic Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vbteam/

• JackJack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this going to make it into VS 2015? I loved this in the 2012 Roslyn CTP.

• Shaun McFallShaun McFall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any updates on this? It existed at one point in the Roslyn CTP, but seems like it's never come back, as far as I know, in any recent Roslyn/VS updates. When programming I now keep an instance of VS2010 open as well as 2013 (or 2015 now) just so I can have this feature.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please update this Under Review item with a current status since it is nearly 2.5 years since the last update
        Consider a road map of proposed features for the next 12 months, a bucket of proposed features for the 12-24 months, features proposed for 24+ months and a bucket of never to be done features.

A periodic once every 6 months review of all open backlog/bug/feature requests items with a required update to their status should be followed.
        This is a recapture, targeted version if any, name of person updating the status, team that reviewed the status and recommended the new update, etc.

This keeps open items current, lets never to be done ones be closed as 'not to be implemented' and keeps old issues from having the same redundant discussions once every year or so.

• Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, you guys are in for a treat. If you haven't seen it already you simply must watch this talk on the Future directions for C# and Visual Basic given by Anders Hejlsberg at the Microsoft BUILD conference. All of it is exciting but I suggest you pay special attention to the part about 40 minutes in!:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/TOOL-816T

Regards,

Anthony D. Green | Program Manager | Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

Feedback and Knowledge Base