I suggest you ...

Make VS menus customizable (same way as in VS 2008)

Make VS studio menus customizable the way it used to be in VS 2008 (Office 2003 style). Visual Studio 2010 introduced major step back in menu customizability :-(.
* Drag & Drop menu editing
* Tollbars and menubars on any side of main window
* Floating toolbars and menubars
* Custom icons for menu items and toolbar buttons
If it not possible to achieve with WPF, don't use WPF!

43 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jan ZárubaJan Záruba shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ScottLanghamScottLangham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want some space for code, but the IDE is full of menus.

In 2008, I could take menus I never click on from the main menubar and place them as sub-menus under the Tools menu. Then, there was space to place a couple of toolbar buttons I regularly use on the menu bar, and the rest of the screen was available for code.

In VS2013, when viewing certain file types such as XML that introduce extra menus, the menu bar wraps to display everything and I waste two rows.... and it contains stuff I don't care to use (well, I may use it via shortcut keys, but don't want to click through the menus).

• Oliver IkingOliver Iking commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really is a showstopper for me to migrate from 2008 to 2010 or even 2011 at our company if it won't be fixed in the next version. UI customization was a no-brainer in 2008, but in 2010, I'm stuck for minutes just to shift some context menu items around. Or it doesn't work out at all because one just can't figure out what command a menu item really invokes. So please, please bring back the VS2008 customization features!

Feedback and Knowledge Base