I suggest you ...

Allow for updating process templates on existing projects in TFS

To keep up with improving processes, there needs to be a migration path for existing templates to be upgraded to new templates. Some information in work items may be lost when mapping these to new work item types of the new templates, but this may well worth the benefits of moving to a newer process. Creating a new team project is not always feasible, especially if the source code versioning needs to be in place.

1,563 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Deepak ChitnisDeepak Chitnis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    RobertRobert shared a merged idea: Allow edit of WIT in Team Foundation Service  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: TFS project template  ·   · 
    Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team shared a merged idea: support upgrading to newer process template version for existing team projects  ·   · 

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Barry MansurBarry Mansur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I saw this has a need years ago, so from the beginning I have used a batch file (old school) that utilizes this command:
        witadmin importwitd /f:"%SourceFolder%Task.xml" /collection:%TargetCollection% /p:%TargetProject%.
        The command above applies the Task.xml WIT to a specific project.
        I use the batch file to do the initial customization of a new project too,
        Of course you have to do an analysis of your differences before applying a new template (if field values change, you might want the "AllowExistingValue" attribute on the field.

• LakshmiLakshmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using TFS 2010. I have 2 team projects under a collection, project 1 and project 2. By default we have six work item types under the process template. Now I added 2 more work items and updated process template. But I cannot see the new work items in project 1 and project 2. But I can see for the new projects. How can I get new work item types in existing projects.

• Shawn AndersonShawn Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this one. I am betting the biggest issue is with the "states" due to highly structured there are, but a simple mapping between "old" and "new" and then allowing the upgrade to happen without triggering the automated process flow might be an easy and clean solution. If you think about it, this is not a regular occurrence, so a one time "skip" of notifications and constraint enforcement would be very acceptable.

• NateNate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the many reasons I don't invest in TFBuild. Only newbee build guys use it.

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just set myself up and was getting quite excited then fell at the first hurdle - i.e. using our wit's....

• PSGPSG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The out of the box templates are just not enough for a serious project to use. When will this functionality be available?

• Ed BiggsEd Biggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be helpful to know if all/any part of this is now available? Something as small as adding a new field would help me massively.
        Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

This is Malu from Bangalore, India. I have 2 question right now related to modify / update the existing template in TFS 2012.

a) Can we modify the existing template as per our requirement? If yes means up to what level? Please share point wise.

b) Is it possible to access our TFS collection by external user those who don't have access rights in our TFS Collection in our machine?

Thanks in advance. I am expecting reply.

Regards

Malu

• GregGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really appreciate TFS Service and the value it brings. We really, really need the ability to customize WIT items to better adapt to our development flow.

Still encountering the TF237113: You don't have enough permissions to complete the import operation.

I'm afraid without this ability, TFS Service is a no go for us.

• EeKayEeKay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When trying to import a custom WIT definition to an existing TFS project i get the error:
        TF237113: You don't have enough permissions to complete the import operation.
        (I read that this still isn't possible? source: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/TFService/thread/fef6afd3-2093-4026-bdea-f502b1aa4d43)

Any updates on this since i really need to update the WIT for a scrum template based project

• Charles SterlingCharles Sterling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please look at the 2012 RC...Much of this was added and the team would like to verity the implementation is working for people.

• Manish JainManish Jain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for posting this idea. TFS/ALM team - considering # of people/team suffering from lack of this feature, it should be considered for vNext. This is something basic and should be priority over any new features.

• Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks guys. We hear this one a lot and it's definitely something we're considering. That said, we're not planning a full "migration" tool in vNext.

• Deepak ChitnisDeepak Chitnis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Daniel is right. Sorry, did not see it earlier before posting. However, the extra explaination could be helpful to understand the issue. Is there a way to merge these 2 ideas?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base