I suggest you ...

Hierachical Navigation Menu

In a real world LOB system, there may be a lot of menu items, which should be organized in a hierachical navigation menu.

320 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ryan linryan lin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Ryan,

Thank you for the suggestion. We have added it to our product backlog and will consider it for a future release.

In the meantime, please the blog post on how the implement a push menu for the LightSwitch Html Client, which is available at http://lightswitchhelpwebsite.com/Blog/tabid/61/EntryId/3247/Visual-Studio-LightSwitch-HTML-Client-Push-Menu.aspx.

Thanks,
    Elizabeth Maher, LightSwitch Team

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mr. BrattasMr. Brattas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree; it is not too much to ask for a hierarchical navigation menu in LS. Please come on Beth Massi, it is Christmas soon… :)

• Christopher MaduroChristopher Maduro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could make a custom home screen in silverlight. But please come on, let's have at least a menu that can handle one sub group.

Yes! Hierarchical Navigation Menu will be nice!
        …but we need a desktop solution with Hierarchical Navigation Menu.
        First you “download” or select your program down to LightSwitch desktop; when you open or start your program you get Hierarchical Navigation Menu.
        We have to create the same concept as on the iPhone and iPad; a desktop where you can drag and drop your program into folders and sub-folders. Then open your program with Hierarchical Navigation Menu.
        Thank you! 

I totally agree! Plus we need a “desktop screen” in LightSwitch; where we can display “Apps” several apps and group them as in iPad. And when you click on the “App icon in the LightSwitch desktop” the started “App” has to have hierarchical navigation menu…Thank you! :)…sorry to bring in iPad in here! :)

• Marden RodriguesMarden Rodrigues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Andy Kung,
        We need a hierarchical menu same as the asp. Net.
        Well flexible where we can create groups that are needed for our application.

• ryanryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be an intuitive way to edit the hierachical menhu structure, although we can create hierachical menu by manually editing the ApplicationDefinition.lsml.

PS!
        The "Desktop display" is inside the Lightswitch Project. First display icons, then the Hierarchical Navigation Menu...OK!?

Suggestion for menu display
        Please change the menu as a desktop version; where every icon includes the LightSwitch menu as is today.
        The idea is like Microsoft desktop or the iPad menu; Nice I Love It!
        Then we can drag and drop Hierarchical Navigation Menu inside the icon on the desktop; when we click the icon on the desktop the Hierarchical Navigation Menu show up as today.
        The icons (save, refresh) inside LightSwitch as to be much better than the Apple OS; same idea, but better…!!!
        I hope everybody on this issue like this idea and make a comment; thank you! 

Another way to see it:

I have 100 screens (menus) and 10 users;
        I can separate the 100 screens into 7 categories; finance, production, order, etc.
        1 user has access only to 1 category; finance
        1 user has access only to 1 category; production
        1 user has access only to 1 category; order, etc.
        2 users have access to 3 categories; finance, production, and order.
        1 user has access to all 7 categories.
        1 user has no access to some of the columns in some tables; not visible. I like to select which column is visible for each user.

I hope the new menu system can handle this scenario easily by drag and drop…

I think the main issue here is that we need a better menu navigation where we can create additional navigation groups and assign screens to the groups; with possibility to assign Role and Users to the menu and the menu sub-folder. Plus we need the programmability to assign different menu structure with a method for different conditions.

• FreddyFreddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

sub menus should work just as Windows Intune Console,3 levels tops

Solution 1
        Please notice by right click on folder “Screens” in Solution Explorer you can “Edit Screen Navigation”

In the tab “Screen Navigation” you have folder Tasks where navigation groups allow you to define menus for your application. You can create additional navigation groups and assign screens to the groups. You can hide or show menus for users in different roles by editing the <ScreenName>_CanRun
        method in the application code.

I do not manage to add new additional navigation groups and assign screens to the groups; I assume this is under development. I can include a Role and a User in the task folder; but what do I do next?

- From the tab “Screen Navigation” we need to add “sub-folders” to the “Tasks” folder.
        - From “sub-folders” and “Tasks” folder; we need to include screens.
        - We need also a method to access the “sub-folders” and “Tasks” folder; sample if you press button A, you show menu hierarchy A and when you press button B, you show menu hierarchy B, and so on.

Suggestion 2
        I suggest Microsoft move the menu navigation into the “Solution Explorer” and create a new folder “Menus”. In the folder “Menus” we can drag and drop screens from the “Screens” folder; and create new folders. Then we need to add security access to the screens and the folders; plus access the screen with code. We need also a method to jump between the screens and the folder. Plus we need a possibility to change the menu hierarchy; sample if you press button A, you get menu hierarchy A and if you press button B, you get menu hierarchy B (“create additional navigation groups and assign screens to the groups”). If you need more info; please contact me.

Project Name
        Data Sources (Folder Name)
        Screens (Folder Name)
        Menus (Folder Name)
        Main Menu A (Folder Name)
        Main Menu B (Folder Name)
        Sub-menu B1 (include in folder Main Menu B)
        Sub-menu B2 (include in folder Main Menu B)
        Screen B1 (include in folder Sub-menu B2)
        Screen B2 (include in folder Sub-menu B2)
        Screen 1 (include in folder Menus)
        Screen 2 (include in folder Menus)

PS
        ..it could be nice if you added a new folder in Visual Studio solution explorer additional with “Data Sources” and “Screens”; called “Menus”. Then the new folder in “Menus” will be the Main Menu and the folders of the main menu will be the sub-folders and so on; when you start the app. Then we can drag and drop screens from the “Screens” folder into the “Menus” folders. The main issue is to have the possibility to change the main menu name, the sub-menu name, and the screen name into other languages.

NICE! :)
        Please make a main menu group with possibility to add sub-menus to the main group. The sub-menus should not have end level. Then you can add as many screens as you want to the main menu and the sub-menu. The main menu and the sub-menu should be on top of the screen. Then people can add as many sub-menu level and screens as they want to their users.

Sample:

+Main Menu A
        +Main Menu B
        +Sub-menu B1
        +Sub-meny B2
        Screen B1
        Screen B2
        Screen 1
        Screen 2

• Andy KungAndy Kung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just curious, how many screens are in your apps? Can they not be effectively organized with one group level?

- LightSwitch Team

• Willem van DijkWillem van Dijk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would already be very happy if only one collapsible subgroup could be added (more would be great, of course). Having too many screens in one group is very confusing for most users.

• Andy KungAndy Kung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the idea! How many levels do you think would be sufficient for the majority of the apps? Are we talking about creating subgroups in the navigation menu? Would the group itself be a screen or just a collapsible group?

-LightSwitch Team

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base