I suggest you ...

Bring back support for Smart Device Extensions

Microsoft caused outrage when without warning or explanation they dropped support for the Smart Device Extensions. Meaning that there is no support for both managed (Compact Framework) and unmanaged (C++) development for the Windows CE platform.

Microsoft promised support would be added by the time VS2010 was released but then back tracked, to date the official line is use VS2008. This product is nearly 4 years old, it is becoming increasingly more impractical to use VS2008 solely for the purpose of developing for the Windows CE platform. Many development teams invested heavily in the benefit of having a single UI for both embedded and desktop development, with the advent of the Compact Framework skill sets and more importantly the code base could easily be shared across platforms. This is now no longer true, as the desktop development/source control/build/test environments have moved on the embedded development environment is stuck in the past. This means duplication of code, duplication of effort and increased cost.

Anyone wanting to start developing for Windows CE has to first buy an MSDN subscription because you can no longer buy VS2008 retail.

As support for Smart Devices has been inherent in VS since VS2003 many people have been caught out when upgrading to VS2010, in many cases those who make their living in the embedded world are now stuck with no upgrade path. Microsoft has refused to comment or discuss the future of embedded development, this silence has forced many to look at alternative platforms.

One of the top voted suggestions on the Connect site was to restore Smart Device Extension support in VS2010, Microsoft has ignored this in typical fashion.

See the Connect Item: http://tinyurl.com/3ctgqda

630 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    WilkoSkiWilkoSki shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: support on Windows-mobile and Windows-CE like it was on Visual-Studio 2003,2005,2008  ·   · 

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The recent reintroduction of Installer Projects in VS/2013 gives me hope that CE/Windows Mobile Project may return too! I don't care if I still need VS/2008 installed. Just want to work in a single IDE.

• Robert DemareeRobert Demaree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Am I to understand that, MS is going to leave mobile device application development at the VS2008 "level?" They are just going to leave their customers "hanging in the wind"--with no glimmer of hope for upgrade in the forseeable future??

• A. AirhartA. Airhart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If manufacturers are going to continue selling devices with Windows Mobile 6.1 or 6.5, we need a way to continue to support our applications on them. Having 2 IDEs is just ridiculous, add these project types back to Visual Studio!

• Sam LippertSam Lippert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm running Windows 8.1, 64-bit. I'm also a cross platform developer.
        I can use Visual Studio 2013 to open my ASP.NET, WPF/Silverlight, Windows Phone, Windows Store, Android, iOS, and command line projects.
        For Compact Framework projects, I have to install Visual Studio 2008. I've been installing Visual Studio 2008 for six years now. With Windows 8, I can no longer find any way to run a Windows Compact emulator that can connect to the internet, short of running a virtual machine. Can't install the Virtual PC drivers, and the Cellular Emulator only works on 32-bit. At least I have a Honeywell Dolphin device that I can debug on. Some models even run Android.
        Besides that, for six years, I've been haunted by this man: http://secretgeek.net/image/vs2008_freak_m.png

Please, Microsoft.

• Enner PérezEnner Pérez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if not release such thing like Compact Framework 4.0, make retrocompatible with .NETCF 3.5 like Windows Phone Tools something like "Windows Phone Clasic Tools"

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please release Compact Framework 4.0, Please Please Please ... Come on Microsoft, keep up with the demand. Also, please make it ARMv7i. We need to get the new benefits. people still want to develop .NETCF applications with C# on modern ARM processors.

• RonnyRonny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for setting up this page. We have a lot invested in the compact framework, and I want Microsoft to recognize that many companies do. Bring support for the mobile environment and the compact framework into VS 2010. Otherwise we are forced into jumping to Android.

• npiasecknpiaseck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are replacing our order picking / order management app in the warehouse with a telnet app. TELNET. It has come to this.

• Geoff DaviesGeoff Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why upgrade to Visual Studio 11? Support for Windows Mobile 6.x never eventuated in Visual Studio 2010, and VS2008 requires patching for TFS2010. If you use TFS2005 you need to patch for VS2008. Sooner (or later) the patches are going to come unstuck and nothing is going to work. At that point, you may as well roll back, disable Windows Updates, and look at migrating you build and development environments to open source where you control your destiny.

• WarrenWarren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is telling me that CE and .net CF is dead, and that embedded devices should be developed using Linux. Because it seems that the only way to develop for embedded devices is not to use a Microsoft embedded device. Windows Phone 7 is not a platform for embedded device vendors. So, Windows CE, at last, is going the way of the Zune. Prove me wrong, Microsoft.

• dmitrydmitry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just visit a WEC7 embedded official page and find following feature "Integrated Flash 10.1 in browser powers playback of Flash content and Flash content can be run full-screen without browser UI". I miss the right technology to learn. That should be FLASH. I'm totally can't understand Microsoft politics on this. Silverlight for embedded isn't a Silverlight in case of that we must to re-write all code (that is written on C#) and make some wrappers to unmanaged code. Such a disgrace.

• dmitrydmitry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's a big mess that MS didn't support full Silverlight on WEC7. That's out of my understanding. Why we must use it from the back hole (plz see that post : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8094847/windows-embedded-compact-7-application-development-with-both-managed-and-unmanag)
        That's terrible. As I understand Windows Phone OS is a subclass of Win CE. That's similar OS'es and why in the WEC7 I can't run that simply can run in a browser.

• dbdb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've developed a number of applications in the past year for our Windows Mobile 6.5 devices. Learning that MS is dropping support for CF in VS 2010 is heartbreaking. Do the software minds at MS really believe that Windows Phone is going to be used in a warehouse environment ? That's how we're using Mobile and we love it ! I would really love to hear from someone connected with MS what the plan is.

• Andreas SpernederAndreas Sperneder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least in industrial environment there are much small devices with WinCE 6.0 or even 5.0 - but it makes no sense to use this devices if support is cancelled by Microsoft in the current development environment.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thing is the features of VS2010 do not justify the costs for licenses without CF. That is for a company having a significant investment already in the CF code.

Only possible solution for now is either VS2008 (why not, there is not really that much new in 2010) or code fragmentation (to keep the CF in 2008)

I personally would be satisfied with same support of CF as in 2008, no need to add anything new.

Feedback and Knowledge Base