I suggest you ...

Allow developer to copy/paste layout hierarchy between screens.

Often I'm finding screens may have similar custom layouts, but I need to build each one from scratch. I have to flip back and forth between screens (see my other sugg. "Allow developer to have multiple screen designers open simultaneously."), and manually tweak the hierarchy to get screens to be consistent with each other. I'd like to be able to select a node in one design screen, copy it, and paste it into another.

288 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ted AssurTed Assur shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Third UncleThird Uncle shared a merged idea: Clone or copy screens  ·   · 

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Simon JonesSimon Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a table is related to two others, it may appear on two screens. EG Orders from Customers about StockItems. You might want a grid of Enquiries to appear on the Customer screen and on the StockItem screen.

Anywhere where you've put significant effort into customizing the control layout, with sizing, anchoring, custom controls, buttons, etc you could save time and achieve a more consistent UI by copying and pasting the controls from one screen to another.

• Andy KungAndy Kung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the idea! I'd like to understand the scenario a bit more. Is the pain point here more about being able to share common UI patterns across screens than the ability to copy and paste? Is there any specific type of layouts or things you find yourself duplicating often?

-LightSwitch Team

• YossuYossu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whilst I would like a full copy and paste, duplication like Marcelo suggested would be a great start.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An option to duplicate the screen would be enough for me and should not be hard to implement.

Feedback and Knowledge Base