I suggest you ...

Help me find code from the stack trace in a log file faster

There is an error in a log file. I see the stack trace, which contains the file name and line number. I want to get to the code where that file name and line number exist. What do I do? First I copy the file name from the log file. I then tab to visual studio then hit Ctrl+"comma" to get the "Navigate To" window. I paste the file name and get to the file. I then hit Ctrl+g to get to the goto line command and type in the line number. Now what if the Navigate To window supported the line:*** syntax. All you would have to do is type is paste something like Customer.cs:line 400 and it would take you there

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark OueisMark Oueis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael NadyMichael Nady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have a better idea, you can call this feature: hydrate stack trace:
        this feature consists of copying a stack trace that was written to a log file, then
        pasting it into the "stack trace" window in visual studio.
        Then visual studio will simply make the stack trace clickable as if the program was running
        but actually it is in edit mode.

• Mark OueisMark Oueis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This shouldn't be in games. I meant to put it in General. Can I move it or can a moderator move it for me?

Feedback and Knowledge Base