I suggest you ...

Expand/collapse projects inside a solution/solution folder

When opening a solution all projects are expanded by default. This quickly makes you loose oversight of your solution structure.

1. It would be handy if there would be a way to expand/collapse the solution's children, perhaps even by solution folder, single folder, or project.

2. Remember state after closing and reopening Visual Studio.

Additional comments from a merged suggestion:
In all the versions of VS so far, the default behavior when opening a Solution the first time is to open it with all the nodes and items expanded in Solution Explorer. This is not an issue until you start working with an Enterprise solution that has 50+ projects in it. I've spent time after initially-opening a large solution (for example because it has been copied to a new branch, or perhaps copied into a sandbox area) painstakingly closing every node so I can look at the list of projects in the Explorer in an intelligible fashion.

There are add-ins like ReSharper that give you a right-click Collapse All action - my client doesn't have such an add-in available. There are ways to provide yourself such an action by creating a macro. I'd like Visual Studio to provide this as an action, or better yet - provide an option that will change the default behavior of Visual Studio to instead, on the first time a solution is opened, to pre-collapse all the nodes in Solution Explorer.

51 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JJ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    TugberkTugberk shared a merged idea: to add a feature for collapse all for folder basis.  ·   · 
    João RibeiroJoão Ribeiro shared a merged idea: Colapse tree  ·   · 
    EricTNEricTN shared a merged idea: Provide an Option to Open .sln with All Solution Explorer Nodes pre-Collapsed  ·   · 
    Geoff AdamsGeoff Adams shared a merged idea: Option to collapse IDE nodes  ·   · 

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using VS Professional 2012. When I open my project it always open in collapse mode. Is there any setting to open project in Expanded mode by default?

• EricTNEricTN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We'd like to see a true/false (checkbox) option something like "When opening a solution for the first time, automatically collapse all projects and folders in Solution Explorer". It would be fine if it defaulted to unchecked and therefore the behavior of past VS IDE's was preserved. We would like it to be there so we could check that box and have the auto-collapsed behavior be true for our team.

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Holy cow! Yes! Bugs me so much. Obviously the command exists to expand all, why can't it collapse all?!

Feedback and Knowledge Base