I suggest you ...

Make (editing) Typing/Scrolling more responsive

There is a visible lag between the moment you press a key and the moment this translates into a character on the screen. Things like Go To Definition, and scrolling, can hang for several seconds.

It appears to get worse over time as you work in the editor.

549 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Doug Turnure - msftDoug Turnure - msft shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brian QuinnBrian Quinn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just started using Visual Studio 2010 on a contract after using 2008 originally on a web app I created and am enhancing for Clark County in Nevada. The first thing I noticed was that I could not scroll in the editor. I was only able to do this when I made the Project Solution View a tab. For some reason the Solution Explor would gain focus and scroll when I was in the editor. Today scrolling became disabled all together and even moving with arrow keys was so slow I could swear there was a virus on my desktop. The county gave me a relatively weak desktop with XP but it worked fine with 2008. Of course I can't go backward to 2008 now with my web app. Ive got deadlines to make and this is really unprofessional. Makes me want to punch Microsoft square in the snout.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am looking at the title of this section: "What are the main areas for performance improvement?". I am shaking my head. I had a feeling they would do this. Developer is using VS2010 and says, "Wow this is slow!!!" Microsoft hears about it and thinks, "We need to make it faster." And then they start thinking about little tweaks where they can make it faster. Same thing with memory consumption. "Wow, it just used extra 50MB of memory. That's weird." Microsoft then thinks about ways they can grab more memory either from virtual memory system or hard disk. Or, they might just recommend that we developers use a bigger machine.

Microsoft, don't you get it? The problem is not that VS2010 is slow, or that it consumes HUGE amounts of memory for relatively small file. Those are SYMPTOMS. The problem is that your product is most likely fundamentally defective. There are probably architectural issues. There are probably abuses of fundamental engineering principles THROUGHOUT the product. You probably should not have converted so much of the guts to .NET.

If you think that you are going to some how put lipstick on this pig, you are in for a rude awakening. A system the size of Visual Studio will simply not allow it.

You HAVE to have a good architect making sure that the product is structurally sound from the inside, based on good engineering principles and discipline. Right now, you do not have that.

So quit quit asking about "areas for performance improvement" and "areas for memory improvement."

Focus on creating a well-engineered product, and the symptoms of poor performance and excessive memory consumption will go away.

• Dave NovakDave Novak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to get a video screen capture of "typical" day-to-day editing I do in both Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 11 and have someone from Microsoft explain why the editor is so PIG DOG SLOW. Nobody (in our company) complained about IDE performance when we were using Visual Studio 2008, but EVERYONE is now that we "upgraded" to Visual Studio 2010. Trying out the Visual Studio 11 Beta was more an act of desperation, though sadly I'm finding myself disappointed with the performance there as well.

If MS would like to see what real customers are experiencing, I'll have happy to show them what we have to deal with every day.

• Dave NovakDave Novak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with what Soren Dreijer said below: ever since Visual Studio 2010, editor performance has been abysmal. I kid you not -- when working with most text files (C++, XML, etc.), it regularly takes about a second on average for the keyboard to respond, especially for navigation keys (such as arrow keys). Everything was great and I had no complaints whatsoever in Visual Studio 2008, but VS-2010 and VS-11 are BOTH HORRIBLE in this regard.

I hate to admit it, but I often find myself going to Notepad++ because it's fast and Visual Studio 2010 and 11 just isn't productive. And it's not my machine -- I have a super fast i7 3.8 GHz machine with tons of memory and a solid state drive.

Again, no issues whatsoever with Visual Studio 2008; but Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 11 both have obvious and annoying KEYBOARD LAG. Some have called it an "abomination", and I think they are right!

At this point, I would kill to have the Visual Studio 2008 IDE with the new C++ compiler features and latest .NET support in Visual Studio 11. The rest I can live without!

• Soren DreijerSoren Dreijer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see VS 2010 and VS.Next have the same editor performance as VS 2008. It's kind of sad when I sometimes have to go back to older VS 2008 projects and I'm blown away by how fast and responsive I can navigate my source files...

• Hannes KochnißHannes Kochniß commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I think this is a worse issue then all the solution/VS load times, as it affects the 95%+ time we work in the solution, please consider that when prioritizing things..

• Péter ZsoltPéter Zsolt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a problem for me especially when working with database projects. I have delays of more than 1 second when I have around 1500 objects in the project, on an Intel I3 processor. During these delays the UI thread uses one core 100%, while the rest of the cores are idle.

• David ColeDavid Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, a thousand times. The slowing down of the source code editor is my #1 problem.

Feedback and Knowledge Base