I suggest you ...

Improve the XAML Designer performance

It often takes several seconds for a XAML Window to fully display. The editor is constantly pausing as I type, sometimes for as long as a second, before catching up with keystrokes.

762 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Doug Turnure - msftDoug Turnure - msft shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Peter SPeter S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With my Visual Studio 2012.4, and 2gb of RAM used by XDeskProc, I resolve the problem by turning off the data loading in View Model’s constructor if in design mode. This way you can still have design mode

If DesignerProperties.GetIsInDesignMode(New DependencyObject) Then
        ‘ Do nothing
        Else
        ‘ Do something
        End If

• diegomesatadiegomesata commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the XAML designer, there is an option called Turn on/off rendering of Effects, the icon is (Fx), when I Turned off that option the XAML designer comes faster like vs2010 again :)

• Wouter VosWouter Vos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me it's 10 second hangups when returning to the editor window. This can be from anywhere and does not happen every time, so returning to the xaml editor is always scary :(

• Fulltime WPF DeveloperFulltime WPF Developer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also having serious issues with WPF/Xaml designer. It is almost unusable and very frustrating. Please improve the Xaml designer performance to match the windows form designer performance. Otherwise this great technology will be wasted and nobody will use it.

• joergjoerg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes the editor is way to slow - almost not useable. Why do think there are still simple designers out there to get the job done without waiting for Visual Studio to get ready for input

• Guido KrausGuido Kraus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

5+ seconds on a Core i7 just when switching between tabs isn't acceptable. VS2010's XAML editor really is a pain.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Core i7, 3.4Ghz Quad Core, 12GB Ram, The XAML editor in vNext takes 5-20 seconds to render (you can continue working while it loads message).

On Metro projects, the XAML editor crashes whenever you try to drag a control onto the designer. I followed the command line steps to fix it provided on blendinsider to no avail. The XAML editor is completely unusable for me at this point (no exageration, it flat out doesn't work).

For reference, I was using Visual Basic as the language, but I also tried a c# project.

• Sharon TalbotSharon Talbot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I saw this user voice site yesterday and was happy. Today, after opening up a xaml file for the build and scrolling a bit to get to the section I want to modify, I got the spinning ball of doom that indicates I should wait. I've had to time google bharry, find the post that mentioned this site, login, find this post, and edit and post this comment. Visual Studio is still not responding.

• Maximilian Haru RadityaMaximilian Haru Raditya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've mentioned here: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2033727-improve-wpf-editor-performance

I personally find out that Blend XAML designer/editor is much more *responsive* (yes, it means performance) and better than VS XAML designer/editor. So I think it's better to replace VS one (and deprecate it) with Blend one and thus incorporate all benefits found in Blend.

It doesn't seem making any sense for me given the fact that MS create two different XAML designers/editors. They said they have finite resources, but it seems they are wasting resouces on this one. It's better to create just one for both of them and combines both best features: a hybrid XAML designer/editor.

• John JohnJohn John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me it takes sometimes more then 20 seconds to switch to the designer. And when I get back and forth between two tabs, I get a designer freeze of several seconds.

• keitherkeither commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix the performance and the exceptions rendering when blend can render the view.
        I have perf watson extension and the status bar indicator installed and see my views taking 5+ seconds to render on a core i7 box.
        I see an issue with merged dictionaries coming from another assembly that's not part of the project.

Feedback and Knowledge Base