I suggest you ...

Ask before moving files in Solution Explorer tree.

Accidentally moving files to random directory really annoys.

772 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew KAndrew K shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    MayankMayank shared a merged idea: Preventing accidental file drag in Solution Explorer  ·   · 

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sam BlowesSam Blowes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For anyone that really needs this feature now, a plugin named VS commands can do this.

• Jonathan GilbertJonathan Gilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With regard to having an Undo feature -- that would be a good idea, but I still feel that there should be an option to prevent the accidental move or copy from happening in the first place. The reason is that when working with TFS, the move operation must talk to the server to schedule the move of each affected file. If a directory with dozens of files is accidentally moved, it can take several minutes for all this activity to die down -- an 'Undo' button would then repeat the process in reverse. I've had to deal with this time-consuming frustration in exactly this manner before (except that the 'Undo' was, of course, done manually in the absence of an automatic function).

• devuxerdevuxer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@MichaelDaw, I agree with the problem but not the proposed solution. The "proper" solution (IMO) is to provide an undo capability for the solution explorer. This way, your flow is not interrupted when you intentionally move something, but if you accidentally move something, it can be easily reversed.

• MichaelDawMichaelDaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you're thinking of adding this, don't. But if you do, at least provide the option to turn it off. More interruptions are not needed.

• Wagner WagnerWagner Wagner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I usually ***** up projects, because sometimes I don't recognize when I do it accidentally.

• Wagner WagnerWagner Wagner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I usually ***** up projects, because sometimes I don't recognize when I do it accidentally.

• NanorockNanorock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just moved a folder inadvertently, tooks age to finish its action, then again to put the folder back to its place =^( It is really annoying. Please ! Put a simple confirmation pop up (-_-)

• Sharon FletcherSharon Fletcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please, bring back the confirmation message before moving files and folders. It is ridiculous that it can be so easy to cause so much damage by inadvertently moving stuff without so much as a single "Do you really want to do this?" check.

• Keith HillKeith Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I had any votes left I'd vote for this. I think Windows TreeViews in general make it **WAY** to easy to inadvertently move items.

• GabrielGabriel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please VS Team, add this functionality as a option at least.
        It's really annoying when files or directories get moved to some random directory...

• KhalidKhalid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hours I am searching in bing to find out a confirmation for moving files/folder in windows7.
        As you said accidently it could happen. Especially with laptops.
        So no solution!!!
        Very bad!

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very good idea... This feature would have saved me pain in the past.
        If anything give the option to turn it on or off.

• drweb86drweb86 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i think that's not a good idea. All projects are at svn usually. Accidental move appears rarely and SVN is for reverting those accidental changes. If each time developer will get messages like are you sure - it will annoying very much

• Junior MayheJunior Mayhe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could be helpful if VS shows a dialog asking for confirmation to move one file to another location.

• Michael CsikosMichael Csikos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The answer to the "drag 'n' lose" problem is to allow right-click dragging and dropping in Solution Explorer, just like in Windows Explorer, which shows a context menu, essentially allowing you to confirm what you really intended. I almost never use left-click drag 'n' drop in Windows Explorer; the right-click menu also lets you choose whether you are copying, moving, or creating a shortcut.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base