I suggest you ...

Make the Visual Studio installer more customizable

Let one don't install some components if one don't need it - for example Silverlight development support, visual designers for WPF or Windows Forkflow, or unit testing (many developers use third-party solutions like NUnit and don't use VS built-in testing tools).

1,156 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Setup Customization: add ability to not install SQL Server  ·   · 
    HeathHeath shared a merged idea: Provide installation customization options to exclude languages.  ·   · 
    Liam CrozierLiam Crozier shared a merged idea: More options for less clutter  ·   · 
    DemisDemis shared a merged idea: Remove unused features  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. We are currently evaluating whether we will be able to include this into the product.

Kelly Berman
    Visual Studio Program Manager

65 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • rafalrafal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So how are things going on customizing the instalation?
        The response from VS Team was half a year ago.

• Nick CraverNick Craver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can understand the language support may be hard to separate out and perhaps that's why the customization was removed initially.

However, installing all these SDKs and forcing them on every developer machines with EVERY SINGLE UPDATE is complete ****, and you know it. Upgrading from VS 2013 CTP2 to RC should not re-install the Windows Phone SDKs I manually removed - there's absolutely zero excuse for that behavior.

Visual Studio was headed down a very good path of being slim and fast, but you're now including literally gigabytes of what amounts to bloatware for most developers. I don't need or want your Azure SDK, Windows Phone emulators, Microsoft Advertising SDK, SQL Server Express, etc. I already have SQL 2014 Developer - why are you installing another instance?

Many of us run on VMs. Our space matters. Our startup time matters. Our wasted time on the download and install of the unwanted multi-gigabyte features matters. Our time uninstalling matters. Our time costs money.

Your installer turns on Hyper-V for developers (last I tried, without any consent given) in order to install the Windows Phone Emulators...just, no. What the **** are you thinking?

These moves to include SDKs or other bloat for every product Microsoft wanted to push that month are bad and present to us a purely business based decision with no regard for what your developers want or use. If you're going to do this, then at least have the decency to give us checkboxes so we can opt out.

• James HodgesJames Hodges commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Studio needs minimal install options. I don't want VB, F#, SQL Express or SQL Tools ...and most of the other software that get's automatically added. That uses unnecessary drive space, reduces performance and creates security problems.

• NikosysNikosys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The word 'Lite' is a boon with fluid fast windows 8 then why not the look alike applications???? Visual Studio 2012 and 2013 have many 'customize' and update issues!
        1. Windows Phone Development was not visible even after updating vs2013 Desktop Express to Update 2!
        2. Uninstalling vs2010 Express made some projects damaged within 2013 Express!
        3. No Custom Install Available in vs2012 or vs 2013 !
        4. Excessive time consuming installers.
        5. Offline Download and storage command is not response.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think its ridiculous (even dumbest) decision to remove the option to choose whatever we want to install. EXPERT user (I guess, all developers are expert) must control anything they need, not given everything they dont want to like a novice or end user. Its already a guideline in HCI. We need an option to choose, as a developer, I only need C#, ASP.NET C#, C++, thats all!
        I dont even need SQL Server (eventhough express, there are a lot of DBMS' suited for my purpose), dont need VB, dont need F#, and lot of "bloatware" that fulfilled my SSD. I have to go back to VS 2010 until you bring back the option to choose components to be installed

• HelabaHelaba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update to exclude dedicated Options from standard installation?
        We need this very much!

• ZmanZman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's ridiculous they removed the option to choose which languages to install, why does everything have to be so bad starting with windows8? i mean it's not like people are using visual studio on a tablet and is has to be dumbed down...

• Lee LGLee LG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have come back to vs 2010 because i only use vc++ and didn't need anything else. Eat my hard disk's 5G space and waste 30 minutes to finish installing it,How can you guys call it "express version"?

• RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why install things we'll never use? I don't want to waste my valuable SSD space on F#, C++ or other tools/languages I simply don't use. Custom installation was always an option. Why not now?

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly recommend a "Lite" installation options which includes only the compiler one wants without anything else. I don't know if it would be possible to do this in less than 500MB, but it would make it very fast and attractive to the audience the Express version targets.Microsoft keep it lean and mean!

• I quitI quit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about those of us who, while customizing the installation, also un-ticked the "I don't mind Microsoft spying on me" checkbox?

• mikemike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have let the VS2013 express for windows desktop installer run all night and still it tries to install the SQL language something.
        So many unnecessary components with out microsoft bothering asking us if we want them.
        I only need VC++. I do not write database programs.
        Mercy me

• HelabaHelaba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, but if only 10% use customized install, this is enough reason to offer that!
        Especially business installations need to limit vs installs

• Dave  BDave B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot give this enough votes. I'd put all ten in there for this one. A VS pro is 1/2 the size if you only use one language. I don't know who thought this was a good idea. It isn't!

• MKMK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm used to VS2010 where I only installed C#, now every time I create a new project in 2013 I have to delete it and start over !! because visual studio creates it in VB which I don't use !!!!! what a pain...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a developer toolset. Why limit installation options ? Many, if not most of the developers using VS need one (or at most 2) languages; they neither need nor want to install the others, along with documentation and sample code for things they don't need on this particular project/computer. If this is too difficult to achieve, one must question the design decisions MS is making in developing these tools further.

• Vinicius Salvati MelquiadesVinicius Salvati Melquiades commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since my notebook stopped working, I decided to use my Surface Pro for development, but VS eats up almost all my SSD space with languages I don't use (VB), or don't know how to code (F#), and my Surface is not the place to learn

• mikemike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so dissapointing. Microsoft is destroying little by little every product (skype, windows8, virtual PC, . .....)
        I am setting up a new system and every hour I am facing another dissapointment..

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base