I suggest you ...

Bring back incremental C# compilation

When coding Java in Eclipse, the compiler incrementally compiles the project in the background every time a file is saved. This way, when the user clicks run, the launch is instantaneous, rather than the long build process that comes with C#. This makes it easier to develop and test small changes, which in turn makes it easier to find and fix bugs.

The C# compiler originally had this functionality, but it was removed when .NET 2.0 arrived as it could sometimes cause problems. However, given that it been proved possible in an equivalent language by the Eclipse team, coupled with the obvious advantages a robust implementation of such a feature would bring, makes it an ideal candidate to be reintroduced.

In recent years the C# team has not shied away from difficult and advanced features, so I am confident they could achieve this, and it should provide a big improvement to developer productivity and satisfaction, and make C# more competitive with scripting languages for rapid, iterative development.

318 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jon RimmerJon Rimmer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff WinnJeff Winn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RIA services was doing something similar for intellisense purposes by automatically compiling the project on you however was removed as of version 1.2. I'd definitely avoid putting this in, for larger solutions this was a huge headache. It's fine if you're in a smaller solution without a lot of projects, but if you're in a large solution with a lot of projects depending on the project you just changed, it creates a huge hassle. Just my opinion.

• Fabian SchmiedFabian Schmied commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@sampai: ReSharper is a great tool and I am using it, but it does not make the launch of a project instantaneous at all - it only parses the code, it doesn't produce any binaries.

• sampaisampai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use ReSharper. It does all you need and eventually will boost your productivity many times.

• Fabian SchmiedFabian Schmied commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe the parser that currently generates the squiggly red lines for errors (this is often called "background compilation") could be extended to perform the incremental compilation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base