I suggest you ...

Create a native WPF UI library

WPF is great for user experiences. C++ is great for performance. However, there is a big impedance mismatch between C++ and .NET (and no, managed extensions is not the solution, because the resulting language is no longer C++).

I vote for a native WPF-like user interface library.

783 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PeterPeter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

It was announced by //BUILD/ conference that Windows 8 allows Metro style applications with a programming model based on XAML (the same technology WPF uses to describe the UI) and WinRT, a native library of components fully OO, accessible from C++.
    This programming model doesn’t apply to traditional desktop applications though. We forwarded this suggestion to the Windows team.

Diego Dagum
    Visual C++ Community PM

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eric HillEric Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow. Shocking that someone from Microsoft would mark this "Completed" because it has been solved for toy Metro apps. What an absolute slap in the face to the desktop application developers whose applications are responsible for the success of the Windows platform, enabling Microsoft to have the money in the bank to invest in a mobile development platform in the first place. Microsoft has epically failed desktop application developers by failing to provide an adequate replacement development platform for MFC.

• LSLS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft just took a $900,000,000 write off on the failed WinRT stuff and you are telling people to write a Metro app???????????????? Seriously?????????

• schroedlschroedl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, you cannot mark this completed without Desktop support. WPF = Desktop as you'll recall. We have zero interest in Metro style applications.

• DenisDenis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pay your attention to the desktop application technologies. Not all want to code for new windows UI interface and especially this regards a big and complex applications. With new Win8 apps impossible to make big complex and comfortable application.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not completed. It is needed for desktop applications. Please undo the completed status.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(Continuing from below) I wish I could have flagged a response from Microsoft above as "inappropriate" or something. It seems all too simple to declare things as "done" here, when in fact they weren't done at all.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's NOT completed. As mentioned, we need this for Desktop applications. Also, we need this in C++, without ugly and unreliable language extensions like C++/CX which infect your code making it non-standard, introduce a set of non-trivial gotchas, break many constructs which are semantically valid in standard-compliant code, etc.

• Simon DanSimon Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The WPF itself is based on the .NET, I doubt about the possibilities about native C++ wrappers. Especially for that heap memory management. Unlike the C++ natively the garbage-collecter within the .NET is integrated which can't be canceled.

Feedback and Knowledge Base