I suggest you ...

Save default project(s) in the .sln file

As per http://stackoverflow.com/questions/694730/why-is-set-as-startup-option-stored-in-the-sou-file-and-not-the-sln-file/1808264#1808264 , store the Startup Project(s) selected in the IDE in the .sln file, but allow them to be overridden by Startup Project(s) stored in the .suo file.

131 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    The_AssimilatorThe_Assimilator shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not a big problem in development machine. However, on a build machine, the command line build failed due to different startup project until we loaded the project in VS and set the startup project to set that in the .suo local file.

• Antoine BervoetAntoine Bervoet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this request.
        I am currently working on a full solution generation project and can not set my web project as startup... i always must set it by reopening the solution in VS and right clicking.
        Not that big issue i agree, but it would help to be able to set this in the .sln file

• Trout ManTrout Man commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Chris

I think you missed the point completely. It's not that a given developer can't figure out how to set a start up project, its that having the ability to set a sane default and have it stick is a *good* thing. Do you disagree that a large percentage of projects usually have a project that serves as the entry point for the solution? Web applications come to mind...

To your second issue, that would work just like it does now. If you really needed a different start up project, it can get stored in the .suo file.

Honestly, I can't fathom why people don't see the usefulness of a default. Likely they work in isolation, or at Microsoft, because on every single team I've been on we *all* used the same start up 99% of the time. ;-)

• chrischris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see absolutely no benefit to this. If a developer can't figure out which project to start, why does that need to be defaulted for him/her? Sounds more like a training issue.

Also, how would the IDE even know when a user really wanted to change from the default or when to go back to the default? Seems like a mess waiting to happen.

• AdamAdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@SandRock,

No it wouldn't, the request is to be able to set a default start project in the .sln file which can be overridden in the .suo file. Under normal circumstances if the user chooses their own startup project it will only change the .suo file and not the .sln file.

• SandRockSandRock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doing this would create too much versioning on the .sln files. If developers change the startup project settings, they will check it in all the time.

The idea is good but I think the .sln may contain "default startup projet values" but the actual values should stay in the .suo file.

• JimmyJimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really like to see this as I want all of my developers to have (by default) a set of startup projects including a single unit test project (without debugging) so that the results are continuously shown at build time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base