I suggest you ...

Gathering hours completed and remaining on a WI should be easier

Getting these fields to be filled by developers is almost impossible the way it's done.
Two solutions that reflect two steps in the roadmap:
Phase 1: Allow filling these fields from pending checkin window, using default values like completed = estimate and remaining = 0
Phase 2: Build a way that the developers notify the start task and count times from there to the close of the task. Allways add completed work and by default subtract remaining. Something like "Grindstone" software, having into account idle machine times and asking what task was that time to be associated.

Today's implementation due to the lack of information from developers leads to having a Ghant impossible to trust.

61 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Paulo FerroPaulo Ferro shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Koen JanssensKoen Janssens shared a merged idea: Add additional dropdown for Completed field in Task board  ·   · 

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, having to open each task to update the completed hours defeats the point of being able to update remaning from board. Should have both fields, as they are used on a regular basis.

• Václav KaděraVáclav Kaděra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least could you provide this minimalist function that would subtract Completed hours from Remaining hours?
        It always makes me crazy, that such a perfect system like TFS doesn't provide functionality like that.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At our company we need to track time towards projects that is capitalizable. So developers need to be diligent on tracking completed time or they are forced to use a second system to track that time. I'd like to see not only the remaining time editable from the task board but also the completed time entry from there as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base