Gated checkins and TFS
(on behalf of a customer) - I love TFS integration, except for a few details and bugs. The help I require is in understanding gated checkins. The issue is with reconciliation. 95% of the time it's smooth as silk (assuming you know how to use it - it is NOT self discovering!) the other 5% for example occurred just a moment ago, when I checked in about 10 images for a toolbar and about 7 other modified files, including the CSPROJ that contained them all. What happens sometimes is that during reconciliation, it tells me nothing is required; it has already gone and done it automatically... which isn't self-discovering either; the rules around all this are very gray. But then about 5 minutes later I notice - and this has happened about 1 out of maybe 20 times (not too often) - one of the files doesn't have what I _JUST CHECKED IN_ ... how can this be? Anyhow, I usually go straight to a compare, and note that say 3 of the CS files have the code from before I checked in. So it's as if the automajic reconciliation pulls down the previous version and doesn't reconciliate to the just-checked-in code. This is terrible horrible behavior. I can't cotton to this one iota. It's just such a HUGE time drain when everything else is a time saver... and how the flip is it even right to pull an older version automatically?? This is my biggest pet peeve with TFS. Normally GREAT! sometimes painful... this one biggie is a pain point.