I suggest you ...

New VS option "Go To Definition Implementation"

VS offers an option “Go to Definition” when you want to see a function definition; however, if your object is implementing an interface this option takes to that particular interface and you are forced to look for the object that implements this particular method. I propose a new option called “Go to Definition Implementation” which would take you to the object that implements that particular interface.

313 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TomTom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A while ago this idea was floating around an MSDN blogs. Here is the relevant part of the discussion:

"By the way, I submitted the "Go To Implementation" idea to the team that owns this feature and here is the reply:

"On the Go To Implementation feature, you are right – it would be a super cool feature to have!  Have you heard of the Roslyn project? The C#/ VB Languages team is working on a vNext project called Roslyn which enables exactly the capabilities such as Go To Implementation. We will certainly consider adding this feature. I will pass on your feedback to the languages team."

So what is the status of this now? Please give us an update!

• Shawn HubbardShawn Hubbard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I continue to be amazed that for all the good ideas in the IDE, this still has not been implemented. Especially with the rise of IoC, this has to happen. Here's hoping for 2014!

• Steve SmithSteve Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great; it's one of the most-used features of JustCode and ReSharper today, I think.

• Giles MiddletonGiles Middleton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anything to find where interfaces are implemented quickly is useful. 3rd party tools can help with this but it seems something native would be better. Speed is an issue - working with a legacy code base of 2 million lines of code and 50 projects with tens of thousands of .cs files. Please make sure you test that.

• Shaq76Shaq76 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Surely this should be a standard piece of functionality with the growing use of Inversion of Control?

• gzakgzak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very much needed and should be fairly straightforward to implement. When multiple implementations exist, it should show a dialog with all available implementation options, much like IntelliJ does today for Java.

Feedback and Knowledge Base