I suggest you ...

Make Visual Studio startup and shutdown faster

Application startup without any solution/project should be instantaneous (less than 1 second)
Application shutdown should not exceed 100ms for each open project and should show a progress bar.

1,496 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Uri CohenUri Cohen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Martin CostelloMartin Costello shared a merged idea: Make Closing Visual Studio Faster  ·   · 
    Sedat ÖztunalıSedat Öztunalı shared a merged idea: Make VS start time faster if TFS is still down or not reachable.  ·   · 
    Doug Turnure - msftDoug Turnure - msft responded  · 

Changed the title to clarify that this is Visual Studio startup/shutdown.

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • daviddavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

even on lightning fast machines, VS is extremely slow in debugging, autocomplete, startup, etc. TFS operations are causing me daily productivity hits of up to 20 minutes EACH PROJECT BEING LOADED. Multiply that by the 5+ projects I work on daily...

Fix this, VS team!!!!

• Victor ZakharovVictor Zakharov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS 2010 is slow to load and unload, even on my Vertex 2 SSD, 16GB of memory and i7-2600. And yes, for this kind of hardware 5 seconds is considered slow.

• gast128gast128 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes on my work with a DELL T3500 4 core Xeon with 6 GB and Windows 7 it takes more than 30 seconds to load VS2010. VS2003 on same machine loads under 5 seconds...

• Dev10Dev10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The hard-disk takes a massive beating with starting up VS 2010 until Windows caches some of it. Running an ASP.Net app in debug can also thrash the disk. This is a terrible trend in MS products (SQL Server 2012 just hammers the disk when loading reports, or the management studio).

• FloeleFloele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Benjol: Not a funny request, at my work place we have a lot of smaller projects that we open and close (and use at the same time) many times a day. So it does actually matter how fast VS loads. I'm happy to see that VS11 has improved quite a lot on that.

• OatherOather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> why in the world would there be such a drastic difference betweem VS 2010 load time and VS 2008?

.net

• AlonAlon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding to the progress bar issue: Currently there is a progress bar indicating the progress of opening every project separately. What would be much better (in addition) is to have an overall solution opening progress bar.

• David RathboneDavid Rathbone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look at this Microsoft, You have uses that think VS2010 is slow to start... How about you guys being abit faster to fix it in a service pak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dean JacksonDean Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To those who might think this is a silly request: why in the world would there be such a drastic difference betweem VS 2010 load time and VS 2008?? If you think it doesn't matter, then I say what in the world could they have done to make it over twice as slow???

• BenjolBenjol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a funny request, because *rationally* speaking, in most use cases (my usage anyway), the startup time is a tiny fraction of the time that I actually spend using VS. But *psychologically* it seems like forever because I'm "sitting there doing nothing"...

• ROCHEROCHE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems that VS search for the server during a long time before opening a solution, even if this one has been marked as off line. In my opinion, it is just a bug, if the solution is offline, please, don't search for an inaccessible server with a one minute long time-out. If you open several solutions, it is quite boring.

• drweb86drweb86 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you please ngen all .net applications automatically especially for limited user accounts ? So user compiles application, and when binaries changes, it ngens and executes?

Feedback and Knowledge Base