I suggest you ...

Add "Ignore All" and "Reload All" buttons to Reload Project dialog

When projects and solution is regenerated outside of Visual Studio, and Visual Studio picks detects the change and offers user to Reload or Ignore, it offers one or two dialogs per project. There's no way to "Ignore All" or "Reload All". This is low-cost high-impact feature for many developers who generate their solutions and projects using external tools.

238 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sergiy MigdalskiySergiy Migdalskiy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • sbisbi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would help a lot if the IDE would first gather everything that has changed, and then presented a list of all of the changed projects, allowing users to mark/unmask individual ones, or confirm/deny all of them. Having to click through dozens of projects, waiting 15secs each for the IDE to reload them individually is enraging. I, too, sometimes just kill the IDE out of exasperation and reload everything,
        Having to kill an app because it became unusable is a *bug*.

• Bruce DawsonBruce Dawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I sometimes work with a solution that has over 200 projects in it, and our projects files are generated. If I regenerate our projects without remembering to close every open solution then I could end up having to click on over 400 (yes, 400) dialogs.

I have done the 400+ clicks a few times, but "kill devenv.exe" is more common. All of my coworkers hit this problem also and it is a significant regression from VS 2005.

• ian.ringroseian.ringrose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would also be great for when I do a "get lastest" from a source code control system that is not intergrated into Visual Studio. Often VS spends ages asking for about reloading lots of project then decides that the solution it's self need reloading anyway.

• Joe WhiteJoe White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Heck, I'd be happy with just a preference setting, "Always reload projects if they change on disk". There's already a preference like that for files, just not for projects.

• tritontriton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This! I generate all my solutions using Premake and half the time I regenerate my projects while they are loaded, VS will ask to reload them, and then crash when I confirm the reloading. The other half it works ok.

It's also pretty painful to have to do this every **** time for every project. I've started closing the solution first to avoid this, but it would be nice to see this fixed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base