I suggest you ...

Make "Go To Definition" faster (C++)

Clicking on that option often takes 5-10 seconds and it completely hangs the GUI.

198 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    shooshshoosh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can agree, VS2010 is a remarkable performance drawdown, not only in the context
        of declarations and definitions. The focus of the MS team seams to be on the wrong point
        such as colors.
        Instead of making intelli sense bulletproof (in comparison to vs2008) and making or object
        information faster (declaration / definition) or compiling faster or better support for shared
        precompiled header, it seems they like to think about features making the studio more fat
        and less responisve. Nobody, who is working seriously, can appreciate that.

• gast128gast128 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this is about the Intellisense, than I can totally agree. Every vs release since 2003, it actually becomes worse instead of better. We have a 100 project solution with over 3000 files in it and Intellisense takes sometimes ages. It got me thinking that Intellisense activities are assigned to fresh junior programmers or so. And it can be so much faster. The workspace whiz add-in (using ctags) is lightning fast. After making the first index, search is almost instantaneously.

• Pavel PokutnevPavel Pokutnev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also it would be very nice to have some build in functionality for *.h/*.cpp file switch. There is a lot of ready to use macros on the internet, but it could have better performance if it will be implemented as native feature.

Feedback and Knowledge Base