I suggest you ...

Shows the Ctrl+Alt+E exception dialog instantly

On my laptop/sln Showing the Ctrl+Alt+E exception dialog takes around 6s in VS2010, 4s in VS2008 and 2s in dev11DeveloperPreview (even faster would be great).

69 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Patrick SmacchiaPatrick Smacchia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Patrick SmacchiaPatrick Smacchia shared a merged idea: Easier exception type management  ·   · 

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • petriashevpetriashev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to ignore exceptions in logger config style (with wildchars):
        ignore: System.IO.*
        MyNamespace.Subsystem.*
        *FileNotFound*

• Allon GuralnekAllon Guralnek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even better, make it a dockable window. And allow me to have a "Favorites" tab where only the exceptions I care about are visible, so I don't have to "Find" exceptions. In addition the "Favorites", a "Recent" tab of recently thrown exceptions (what appears in the Output windows) would also be nice to quickly break on some new suspicious exception.

• PhilippePhilippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be nice to have an option to have finer grained control so that it would be possible to ignore an exception at a specific location (user code, specific function, specific DLL) as some generic exceptions like null pointers might get thrown at many locations but a few should be ignored.

Also a way to temporarily enable or disabled all exceptions (or load/save exceptions settings) would be nice.

An option to ignore the exception for this debugging session would also be nice.

Debugging attributes might also be useful so that once could mark code at function or class level with something like [DebuggerStopOnException(false)] and it should apply by default to any function called by the function on whioch the attribute was added.

• Andrew SkalkinAndrew Skalkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The absence of that feature, combined with the fact that .NET throws and handles exception in non-exceptional situations (such as FileNotFound when the corresponding *.XmlSerializers.dll assembly has not been pre-built), drives me nuts for the past 10 years. I am aware that I can set it up to break on my code only, but that doesn't help much. I would also suggest to make exception management more powerful, such as adding the ability to suppress a particular exception on a particular stack trace, etc.

• IgbyDIgbyD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES PLEASE! Put a checkbox on the exception dialog that disabled "break on thrown" for the current exception.

• jeffpiersonjeffpierson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 For the idea of making a button to disable stopping the debugger on specific exceptions when that exception happens.

• RobertWGRobertWG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would save me a whole lot of annoying SocketExceptions from background threads while debugging.

Feedback and Knowledge Base