I suggest you ...

Import/export data from Visual Studio Online

possibility to export a collection and import it in an on premises installation and the other way

330 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marco CusinatoMarco Cusinato shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    FabienFabien shared a merged idea: Import a full TFS database on Visual Studio Online  ·   · 
    Steven SpyrkaSteven Spyrka shared a merged idea: Export and Import Feature to Team Foundation 2013 Server  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Make an export/import to archive function for Visual Studio Online  ·   · 
    Larry CarterLarry Carter shared a merged idea: Migration from On-Premise to Team Foundation Services  ·   · 
    Derek NoonanDerek Noonan shared a merged idea: Provide a means of migrating from on-prem TFS to cloud TFS  ·   · 
    Nicolas LouisNicolas Louis shared a merged idea: Migrate Team projects from private TFS to TFS Azure  ·   · 

We have included both import and export from Visual Studio Online on our product backlog. Brian has some more information about data export available here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bharry/archive/2014/02/21/vs-online-early-adopter-program-extended-to-may-7-2014.aspx

Additionally, this week at TechEd North America we have announced that we have partnered with OpsHub to create a free migration utility to move the most requested data including history from TFS to VSO. You can find out more details on this migration utility that was released here: http://bit.ly/OpsHubBlogPost. We will also continue to include proper import support on our backlog for future investments.

Thanks!
    Ed Blankenship, Ewald Hofman, and Andrea Scripa
    Visual Studio Online Team

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan AdlerRyan Adler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While OpsHub's tool is good for a basic case, without first-level support to import in the VSO API, we cannot use this. What I mean by this is, it needs to be possible to import date fields (created, updated, etc) as well as usernames to VSO from on-premises TFS. Without support to import dates, we cannot migrate - all our custom queries and reports would be useless. Please offer full support to import historical items into the API!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OpsHub sucks - tired of seeing the "Could not find a part of the path o:\......". I would rather have Microsoft create a sanctioned tool that can take an existing TFS environment, spit out the history to a GIT server, TFS Online, etc and be done with it. Just note that whatever I shove in to TFS Online, I want the ability to get it back out easily.

• PhilipPhilip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My management won't be completely comfortable with using VSO over an on-premises TFS setup until I can describe to them what contingency plan we have in the event of Microsoft discontinuing the service, either deliberately or as a result of a catastrophic failure. If I could take regular backups using an export of all VSO data (including work items, backlog, etc.) that could be used to recreate our project in such a situation, that would be sufficient.

• Jussi PaloJussi Palo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VSO to VSO would be very much needed. World is full of company merges for example, that will require code to be moved from VSO to another VSO.

• Adam PAdam P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So wait, I can't import my existing TFS repository into VSO? That's a no-go for me then. I need my history, plus I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my code in a repository that I can't export later on down the line. Until importing AND exporting my history exists, VSO is off the table for me.

• Jeff PageJeff Page commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also have a requirement to migrate a project collection from VSO to on-premise TFS. We were unable to complete a migration using TFS Integration Tools.

• John HartwellJohn Hartwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm seriously looking at moving to TFService as an option to migrate from our current internal TFS 2010 solution to TFS 2012. The ability to import our source and WI history is a significant factor. Is there a likely date for this yet?

Feedback and Knowledge Base