I suggest you ...

Provide refactoring for C++

Currently there is almost no refactoring support for C++. Even basic refactoring like renaming is missing.

872 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I highly support this idea, basic things like Renaming, Create Implementation, Create Declaration would be really really helpful.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It amuses me that free IDEs like Eclipse provide this functionality, even though it may not work in highly complex cases, yet a professional tool liks MSVS does not.

• Herpin the DerpsHerpin the Derps commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that providing refactoring for a language without built-in reflection capabilities brings several challenges to the table, and that stability and error-free behavior are essential for a refactoring tool, but come on Microsoft--how many product revs has the Compiler/IDE/Framework been through now!? Please do this now for the good of your own benefit.

When I see things like this:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE

, and I think of the time that has passed, and the resources you could actually throw at this issue to solve in a world-class way, and yet nothing is done to accomplish it...zip, nada, zilch...it makes me want to throw my hands up in disgust with the Visual Studio team, and with Microsoft in general.

Come on guys, you can do this better than anyone else. You've proved that by creating the world's best general-purpose debugger. You invented C++ AMP, and are finally playing nice with the standards body (Thanks, Mr. Sutter! :), so please...help us out here.

Personally, in addition to all the stuff in Refactor! and VAX, I would also like to see (<= C++98 idioms) --> (C++11 idioms) refactoring in VS 2014.

Thanks otherwise for a great platform.

• ValeryValery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not want to use Visual Assist! I know Microsoft can develop better tool!

• ta.speot.ista.speot.is commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't realise how much I missed decent refactoring support until I spent a significant amount of time in C# with R# before going back to C++.

VAX is pretty good but it falls over for me every so often. If Microsoft could put some solid C++ refactoring tools into VS that would be a huge productivity boost for me.

• Shaunak DeShaunak De commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that the semantics of C++ make it near impossible to provide a 100% accurate refactoring tool, but a simple rename tool, with appropriate warnings displayed to the user would be a welcome addition.

• PhilippePhilippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to at least have a way to easily declare or implement a function from the other one. That is add a declaration at the end of the class from a definition just added in the source file. Or add/move a definition from the header to the source file. It should be possible to at least select between alphabetical order and add it at the end.

By the way auto-generated code for WinForms among other should be added to the source file if desired (and declaration in a specified region)

• Jens SaathoffJens Saathoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is an important thing. If you want refactoring for C++ you have to install Visual Assist from Whole Tomato. Why can't MS do it like the people from Whole Tomato? That's refactoring at it's best. Really!

• David IkedaDavid Ikeda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. I never really realized how useful these refactoring mechanisms are until I tried Visual Assist. It would be great to have this as a native feature in VS as I think VA really points out some of the limitations of VS when it comes to refactoring, intellisense, etc.

My only hesitance with the vote is that at least VA can provide these features through a plugin, so I would rather prioritize features that third parties can't provide in VS like C++11 support , but these are features that relate more to the IDE so it might be a separate group of people implementing them.

I do wonder if this feature might be better suited for the IDE or Editor section but I realize that this is specifically targeted to C++.

Feedback and Knowledge Base