I suggest you ...

Hide Area and Iteration Names users don't have permission to view

In TFS 2010 we can set permissions on areas and iterations to limit access to work items and queries. However, all TFS users can still see the names of all area and iteration nodes regardless of permissions. There should be permissions that limit the visiblity of area and iteration node names.

Scenario: We use a single team project for development of multiple products for multiple different customers. We configure areas and iterations for each different customer/product and set permissions on those nodes to limit access. Some customers and products are highly confidential and the associated area and iteration names should not be visible TFS users unless they have been granted access.

Also see this post https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/668013/area-and-iteration-nodes-are-not-hidden-by-permission

86 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bryan KnoxBryan Knox shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

It is a great idea. We hear this comment so now and then, but not very loud. It is on our backlog. User Voice is an excellent podium to get to know how important this is related to all the other valuable ideas.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VinayVinay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to Hide old Iterations SO, that user don't have to scroll it to a big list to get to the iteration they want to choose.

• HMIndiaHMIndia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am working in BFSI org with employee> 20000 wordwide. I am also looking for similar feature where even View Rights may be denied on Workitems .

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not sure what this "view node" permission even does... versus what I wish it would do. As a customer, my having to experiment with all variations in the tool to see how it works - and then having to work with others under their various credentials to see the results of these permission variants - gets more than annoying... I realize there is "documentation" in the MSDN site... but it brings none of this operational information to light. The customer-friendly thing to do... be more thorough in your documentation so you are not wasting our time. [IMHO] If you don't have time to code it - you could at least properly document it. I have hundreds of projects, hundreds of users, and a real need to manage visibility and security... consider how poorly the tool facilitates this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base