I suggest you ...

I wish the Possibility to create a Report will be as comfortable and easy as it was in VB6.

I wish the Possibility to create a Report will be as comfortable and easy as it was in VB6.

42 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ToxicmolotowToxicmolotow shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HMan2828HMan2828 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Both DevExpress and Telerik provide excellent reporting solutions, and aren't even expensive at all, if you don't like working with SSRS. They are both good but my personal preference is Telerik (it supports a different datasource for each component of the report, whereas DevExpress only supports one datasource per report section).

Most companies that need proper reporting use (and have for many many years) a third party solution, and that goes as far back as VB6. Even in the VB6 days most companies I know used something like ActiveReport.

I guess it could be easier, but my gut feeling is that this will be way way down the priority list, especially when third party alternatives already exist.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SSRS leaves a lot to be desired in terms of creating the reports. I'm sad to say that I would rather use the MS Access report designer (and that's saying something). Crystal Reports on the other hand has a pretty good IDE but wishy washy support in other areas (for instance, their "4.0" listed assemblies actually target "2.0" CLR... which means even with the new versions you can't get away from the 2.0 CLR).

• LMKLMK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah the report designer is absolutely horrible, the whole experience is awful. I have persevered with it and just cannot "get it". Usually if you use something enough it becomes 2nd nature, but reporting in .Net just makes me feel sick every time I have to do it.

I 2nd the call for a simpler reporting system, designing reports in Visual Foxpro was probably one of the only decent parts of that language/IDE.

Feedback and Knowledge Base