I suggest you ...

Provide us with a project type that officially supports the development of VGA-heavy applications from managed code

With the official announcement: “XNA Game Studio will not support Metro style apps” XNA has been marked as a legacy platform.

Please provide us with a replacement that:
-Fully satisfies .NET library design guidelines.
-Allows direct access to the VGA.
-Implements most strong points of XNA and learns from its mistakes.
-Has a feature set that is ON PAIR with DirectX 11.1 and stays UP TO DATE with future DirectX releases, at least ones that are accessible on WinRT.
-Enables developers to make applications capable of running on WinRT, Classic Desktop (at least on Windows 8), and at least on the next generation of the Xbox series.
-Has its own managed documentation, managed samples and managed tutorials (one of the biggest drawback of community-made DirectX wrappers is the lack of documentation).

Thank you.
Also, please announce the official plans for it as soon as possible, heavy damage is being done to the world of managed development by every moment until that happens.

362 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LarsyLarsy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • acac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This suggestion bit vague. Even native developers don't have "direct access", Windows and the drivers have gone to other direction in past years.

In any case, having one cohesive, performance as goal API with optional to use "easy/RAD" layer which supported both GUI authoring and high perf 2D/3D in the same window would be nice. I think this may be close to what's in the Metro/WinRT "vision" but it's hard to say yet. I haven't had time to dig in to the Win 8 preview yet. (and not really interested that much since so far it seems to cater too much to tablet use)

• SebastianSebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think in order to get feature parity with DirectX, we should first get a lightweight managed wrapper over DirectX. This shouldn't be expensive, SharpDX is made by one person I believe, and does this job VERY fine.
        I strongly encourage you to look at the samples.
        http://code.google.com/p/sharpdx/downloads/detail?name=SharpDX-BinAndSamples-2.0.0.0.zip
        It also supports Metro ALREADY.

So we should get a managed wrapper over DirectX, with documentation and samples all translated from the DirectX SDK. For some parts of GPU development, you really just couldn’t get closer to .NET library guidelines.

If we get a higher level wrapper, it should still let developers use these lower-level DirectX features where they want to. That's the only way to stay on pair with new releases of DirectX I believe.
        Keeping a whole XNA-like library on pair would likely be too expensive. No wonder it got stuck in DX9 despite the constant work and updates. The new XNA should be designed with a similar picture in mind (to allow low-level access wherever the developer needs it).
        Porting code from and to native DirectX would also be a lot easier this way.

• DomarDomar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that this will be a very important for the near future!

• jalfjalf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, my question was simply whether we were talking about programming the GPU (whether GPGPU stuff, or shader programming for graphics), because VGA is such an overloaded term (my monitor is connected to my graphics card via a VGA cable, but others use DVI or HDMI). There's the (old) VGA graphics mode, which looked a lot better than EGA/CGA, and there's a half-dozen other graphics-related things that VGA could refer to, and it wasn't really clear to me what you meant by "VGA-heavy applications".

If you just meant graphics-heavy, or GPU-heavy, that clears it up, I just wanted to confirm. :)

• LarsyLarsy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whoooops, my bad, somehow for a moment I thought that VGA stood for Video Graphics Adapter :D
        Anyways, I guess I should have written video card (since, for example, video memory isn't part of the gpu afaik).
        I didn't mean it should provide oob support for gpgpu calculations if you asked that, although it would likely help that area too anyways, there are gpgpu applications written for XNA as well.

Jesper:
        Whoooops, my bad, somehow for a moment I thought that VGA stood for Video Graphics Adapter :D
        Anyways, I guess I should have written video card (since, for example, video memory isn't part of the gpu afaik).
        I didn't mean it should provide oob support for gpgpu calculations if you mean that, although it would likely help that area too anyways, there are gpgpu applications written for XNA as well.

@Jesper:
        My bad, don't know why I wrote VGA lol.
        I guess the politically correct term would have been "video card" since video memory for example isn't part of gpu afaik.
        I didn't mean it should provide official support for general-purpose gpu programming or something like that. Of course, it would/could still likely help gpgpu as well, there are gpgpu applications written for XNA too.

@Jesper:
        My bad, don't know why I wrote VGA lol.
        I guess the politically correct term would have been "video card" since video memory for example isn't part of gpu afaik.
        I didn't mean it should provide official support for general-purpose gpu programming or something like that. Of course, it would/could still likely help gpgpu as well, there are gpgpu applications written for XNA too.

(Of course, it would/could still likely help gpgpu as well, there are some gpgpu applications written for XNA too)

• jalfjalf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what exactly do you mean by "VGA"? Are you talking about GPU programming?

Feedback and Knowledge Base