I suggest you ...

Bring back the view all pending changes window (VS11)

I really like the new Team Explorer view that allows me to focuse on one project at a time. But I also need the ability to see not only the pending changes for the current project but for all projects.

In our company we have several collections that have 100+ projects in them and I work in a lot of them. Being able to see ALL the files I have check out (pending) at a single glance is really helpfull.

436 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Blane NelsonBlane Nelson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We are happy to let you know that in today’s release of Visual Studio 2013 Preview we now show all of your pending changes in a virtualized list if you have a large number of changes. We’ve also removed of the “All Changes” page that was previously used to show a large number of items.

You can get the VS2013 Preview build here:http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=306566

Matt
    Program Manager | TFS Version Control

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the complaint that VS 2013 pending changes is much less usable than VS 2010. I am constantly not checking in files that I think are checked it. It has causes serious problems for out development team. There is somebody somewhere in MS that proposed this new design and I can't imagine that they actually every used it and compared it to the VS 2010 experience. Otherwise the new "feature" never would have made it.

• Igor Igor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do I understand it correctly that for small number of changes you can't have plain list view?
        TreeView is simply inappropriate. Please reopen voting

• Andreas WarbergAndreas Warberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree that the VS2010 Pending Changes window is far superior to the new one.

In addition, for developer teams switching from VS2010 to VS2012 (with TFS) I've noticed that they have a hard time noticing and reacting to conflicts. As a result they end up doing long development sessions with unresolved conflicts in the background, leading to various odd behavior in compilation and developer confusion.

Usually they do Get Latest on the Solution Node in the Solution Explorer tab. In case of a conflict focus is not automatically switched to Team Explorer > Pending Changes (which seems to be the only place from where you can see there is a conflict). Although conflicts are printed on a line in the Output Window it is easy to miss and the developer might have set focus on the Error List or other, hiding the conflict message entirely.

We are losing precious time because VS2012 doesn't bring conflicts to attention.

• Morden KainMorden Kain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like the others here, I too am wondering why you, Microsoft, decided to change something that was very usable, and quick, into something as atrocious as the Team Explorer tab/window. When I check something in, I should not be given a big ugly error because I missed adding a comment.

We should be able to use either style, the old VS2010 or the new VS2012. Not stuck to something completely en-cumbersome as this new TFS interface you plastered into VS 2012. Seriously, what were you thinking (if you were doing so at all).

• LuisLuis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new dialog is an unfortunate improvement.

Change is typically resisted by most individuals but if the change makes the process more difficult then be assured it will not sit well.

Overall VS2012 is not very pleasing to the eye and even with theme changes it can still be distracting and disconcerting.

Specifically about the team explorer dialog, it is now so 'squeezed in' by the use of collapsing trees that one has to do a lot of steps to achieve the same that could be done easily before.
        It is pretty unfriendly.

For TFS tasks, I've decided to keep VS2010 installed and do that there.

If nothing else, the VS team should give users the ability to choose between the old and the new way. You may actually find valuable feedback doing that.
        Microsoft seems to be going to way of not allowing the end user to choose.

• Michael BunneyMichael Bunney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new Pending Changes vertical U.I. is unusable and seriously hampers productivity. Among other things, it forces you to view all changes sorted by folder name only -- you can no longer sort by file name or change type. Please return the old 2010 version.

I also think this is unusable for all the reasons specified in the comments above

• JimboJimbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on reverting this short-sighted UI design back to how it was in VS2010 so we can finally be productive in 2012 dev-studio?

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is it possible that this version got through to RTM!?! No fix in update one. What were you thinking VS team?

• D.B.D.B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think it's full replacement for Check In dialog and probably even not of Pending Changes window. Please at least allow us to use old windows from GUI directly and not only through tf command. When I was checking in major breaking changes across several solutions today, it was almost impossible to review changes in several hundred files and make sure I'm not including some **** unintentionally.

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would go so far as to say, this (along with the other VS2012 f-ups) is making me consider abandoning .Net and looking at alternative languages.

• SamCPPSamCPP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using VS2012 as my main development platform and I really am finding this to be the most painful part of the experience. You can get used to the icon colours and layouts but as far as productivity goes, Pending Changes is a backward step. It isn't simple. It might look a bit more elegant but it is just horrible to use. Flicking amongst shelvesets is painful. And so on.

Here is my list of problems with the new pending changes "feature":

* Forced Drag and drop instead of much simpler checkboxes for including/excluding files is a Bad Thing. Checkboxes can be handled via keyboard or mouse. Drag-and-drop requires the mouse.
        * Re-use of an existing (mostly unused) window for doing check-ins is a Bad Thing. Most of us keep the Team Explorer in a very narrow sidebar. It is fine there - until you need to do a check-in with VS2012. To do a check-in now, I have to pull it off the sidebar and into the main view so I can see what I'm checking in and when I'm done, put it back. This essentially means that VS2012 is forcing me to manually handle making the check-in window popup.
        * Inability to use column headers to sort the changes is a Bad Thing. I don't always want to sort the changes by location. I might want to sort them by the type of edit, the change date on the file, or the file type. None of that is possible with the static folder-structure view.
        * When you are doing a check-in you should know that what you are doing is a critical step that should take careful review and is an important process. Burying the check-in functionality in a pre-existing window minimizes this gateway feeling, likely leading to much higher rates of accidentally checking in files that you didn't intend to. This is critical in a source control solution for teams of almost any size.
        * You can no longer right-click to undo changes! You can only undo changes from the new "Pending Changes" view. This is now much more painful than it needs to be. This makes exploratory changes a royal pain to roll back when they don't work out.

Please, please, bring back the old VS2010 check-in window, and add back the ability to right-click to undo changes to a file.

• SamCPPSamCPP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. The VS2010 interface is much much more productive and usable.

• Arvind SedhaArvind Sedha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first thing i get annoyed of !!! Really don't want to use vs2012 until Microsoft find some solution to this problem. Extra work for developer :( NO Way !!!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base