I suggest you ...

Creating Queries - Token for Current Iteration

When creating a work item query, you are given the option to select the iteration path for which the query is to return results for. It will be fantastic if a token was provided such as [Active Iteration] and you can specify the active iteration manually, or TFS calculating it via the Start/End dates

1,734 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lambros VasiliouLambros Vasiliou shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    rob gagerob gage shared a merged idea: enable query to look for dates in a sprint  ·   · 
    Alessandro GrapsAlessandro Graps shared a merged idea: TFS: Iteration Path : Get CurrentIteration Path variables in queryes  ·   · 
    Tigran TorosyanTigran Torosyan shared a merged idea: Current Sprint queries Interation Path auto update  ·   · 
    Ramon DurãesRamon Durães shared a merged idea: Add variable @CurrentSprint (WorkItem>Shared Queries>Sprint Backlog )  ·   · 
    stevesteve shared a merged idea: Add @CurrentIteration variable to TFS  ·   · 
    Bryan HintonBryan Hinton shared a merged idea: Add an @CurrentIteration filter to create dynamic work item queries  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: TFS Current Sprint Macro for query builder: if i have an Iteration tree like ProjectName -> Sprint Number -> Sprint 80 -> Reports. I would  ·   · 

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Benny BaggottBenny Baggott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd settle for knowing how to write a script that would automatically go and update all of my queries from one iteration to the next. Can anyone tell me how to do that until someone at Microsoft figures out what we have known for years? I am having to manually change over 20 shared queries each sprint. And don't get me started as to why I can't do the "Current" iteration trick or get the Scrum Masters to all change their own shared queries...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also consider @CurrentAreaPath as an possible variable for working with queries.

• Josh HoJosh Ho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really would like to see this functionality. From the looks of it...Microsoft is no longer reviewing User Voice ideas...or at least they aren't updating the community submitted ideas with any feedback.

• Cash FoleyCash Foley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be "Team Context". Having multiple teams in a single project is great except having different Shared Queries for each is a pain. Putting this configuration on a Team level will allow Shared queries to act in the context of the team!

• DarcyDarcy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't actually as simple as people might think. Remember that the TFS Work items are shared across teams, and so are the queries, but he Iterations that are applicable are controlled team by team, so the best you could probably do is "part of ANY active iteration", because you DO want the results of the query to be consistent for each team

Don't get me wrong, I still think it would be hugely helpful. There IS an answer and we should have this by now, but it's not as simple as a @CurrentIteration token

The best workaround I have found is to have my iterations organized with parents for "Past", "Current" and "Future", and then at the start of every sprint I simply drag and drop the last sprint into the "Past" bucket and drag then next sprint into the "Current".
        If you do this, you can write queries like "Iteration Path UNDER Whatever\Current\" and it'll always point to your current iteration

• DovydasDovydas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, seriously. It shouldn't be that hard. If you are having trouble integrating this for almost 3 years we can even code it for you if you want...

• ArjanArjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2,5 years later now, VS11 has already been shipped. Visual Studio 2013 is even shipped. Still not able to use the active iteration. And it was a tough decision to release this feature after VS11?

• Neville RochatNeville Rochat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Extending this, having the capability of creating queries where work item created dates fall within the current sprint would be welcome

• Adding new [Token] takes MS yearsAdding new [Token] takes MS years commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On January 11, 2012 11:49 p.m Visual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) wrote: "We have heard this feedback more often, and is something we would really love to do."

Hurry this up.

• techiejohntechiejohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What' the level of effort on this, 1 day? It would make everyone's life so much easier.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very useful for our Company as we have many users that would wish to write their own queries that they would reuse from iteration to iteration and having to change the iteration value each time would be a pain.

• PhilipPhilip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The feature to have a wild card filter for the current sprint would be very useful to my company. I look forward to the update that includes it. Many of the planning query we use have to be update as we move from one sprint and iteration to the other an have the ability to set the current sprint as a filter in the query would remove this error prone approach and maintenance issue.

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this, we need this - not sure why there is so much resistance to it. Its a no-brainer, why wouldn't I want my current iteration/sprint query to have a wildcard for "current iteration"? You obviously have the token already, or I wouldn't be able to set it in the admin area!

• shamusshamus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A potential workaround for some, especially those using the scrum template is to edit your 'current' query to only display the active items. For instance with the scrum template, only show the items where the state = committed. If you're using scrum, are you actually working on new, approved or done stories?

And there doesn't seem to be a need to even change the iteration paths anymore since the stories show up in the backlog if the iterations have dates. I think having a child task where the iteration s set also makes the story show up in that iteration as well.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base