I suggest you ...

Provide the ability to prioritise Backlog items in a sprint backlog by dragging and dropping the item

When I am working with the sprint backlog in the new new web UI I want a way to easily re order the backlog items in the sprint.I can currently do this in the main product backlog but not in a sprint backlog

340 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matt NunnMatt Nunn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Leslie LinardLeslie Linard shared a merged idea: Allow Drag & Drop Prioritization of Work Items Within Sprint Backlog Item  ·   · 
    StacieStacie shared a merged idea: I would like to be able to prioritize by dragging and dropping within a release and an iteration.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: allow ranking of product backlog items with the task board  ·   · 
    Job SchepersJob Schepers shared a merged idea: Drag-Drop Parent Child relations  ·   · 
    Derek LicciardiDerek Licciardi shared a merged idea: Need Drag and Drop reordering of tasks under a work item.  ·   · 

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would help us out so much

Backlogs can become long and unwieldly.

Sometimes you need to adapt to changing priorities within a sprint.
        Perhaps not textbook agile, but workflows that allow you to pivot quickly is

• Brad EllisBrad Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need drag and drop capability in the hierarchy view. It is extremely difficult to manage the priorities within a feature. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CHANGE THIS.

• Bruce CutlerBruce Cutler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new hierarchy view is almost useless without the drag and drop capability, both for reordering the priority and for placing stories (PBIs) into sprints.

• Melissa HillMelissa Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also need to be able to sort by Area Path and then prioritize backlog items. We have a backlog that contains items for multiple projects. We have many teams that can pick up those items in an iteration. To keep the work together to deifne minimally marketable features, we use area paths. We also have an enhancements area path that needs to be uniquely prioritized. Without being able to sort first on area path, there is no good way to prioritize the backlog.

• Bob LiebermanBob Lieberman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Want to do and need to do! Who ever heard of a sprint whose priorities never change once it has started?

• Jeffry Van De VuurstJeffry Van De Vuurst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This one has my vote. I do my initial ordering on the backlog, but it happens quite often that we need to reorder while doing the sprint planning.

• Jørgen JamtJørgen Jamt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this idea fully. This happens all the time for us. Even being able to move user stories up and down inside user stories is a need.

• David BlomqvistDavid Blomqvist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Richard: OF course I ordered them with most important first in the backlog. But then the Product owner changed priotrity. And the problem is then,. once things are in state Active they dissapear from the Product backlog. So in the complete Product backlog view you don't see them anymore. Would be much easier if you could re-prioritize in the sprint backlog or on the board.

• Kevin PietteKevin Piette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Richard's question (was below the fold) - Ideally you would, but sometimes a little more agility helps with managing the natural entropy of things.

• Kevin PietteKevin Piette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After just having spent a bunch of time renumbering sprint backlog item priorities I reassigned some votes here to help make this happen sooner (approaching a year on the TFS team backlog).

It would be nice (but not nearly as important) if at the same time tasks could be similarly reordered by d&d.

• StacieStacie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have figured out a way to do it although it isn't very intuitive it works and I am happy to be able to choose TFS as the tool now that I figured out a way to prioritize a release backlog. The way to do it is by going into the configurations under the iterations area or tab and then setting release 1 (or whatever you want to prioritize) as the teams backlog iteration by right clicking and choosing 'Set as Teams backlog iteration' then I am able to prioritize just those stories in the release if I only put children stories in the release and not the parent stories. This may not be the most intuitive way to do it but it works! You must remember to switch it back to the project/product backlog if you want to see all stories though or setup different teams for the different views. You may still want to consider allowing to prioritize in the Release and Iteration View, so when I click on the Release in the left hand navigation and it shows me all the stories in the Release, I would like to be able to just prioritize there...seems much more intuitive.

I realize also that I can prioritize the product backlog which will then reflect that priority in the Release or iteration but the problem that I ran into at that level is that I want parent child relationships and I can't prioritize children across parents then. For example, lets say I have Epic Story A with children stories: Story 1, Story 2, Story 3 and then I have parent Epic Story B with children Stories: Story 4, Story 5, Story 6. And the true priority of the Stories are Story 3, Story 6, Story 5, Story 1, Story 4, Story 2...I can't represent this on the product backlog because of the Epic Parent level. Now you could say remove that parent but then I will just have a flat view and no grouping and with 600 stories that is awful hard to navigate through. I have worked with Rally and Jazz in the past which just have you do that prioritization at the release level when your backlog is so large. So what I would like to do is move Story 3, Story 6, Story 5 and Story 1 to Release 1 and leave Story 4 and Story 2 on the backlog then be able to prioritize within the release which is a more manageable list.

You can do this already on the product backlog, You are able to define one story as a child of another by dragging it into a story but you can't do it in the release or iteration backlog which would also be nice.

Feedback and Knowledge Base