I suggest you ...

ability to add multiple activities per team member in sprint

I really like the new feature (may be) in TFS where you can add capacity in the sprint which estimates work by activity.

currently a developer can spend 2/3 of this time in development and 1/3 in bug fixing(testing). so, i would like to see two/more entries per team member to divide their capacity across different activities and properly track the project activities (dev, test, requirements etc etc)

hope you got what I am trying to say.

883 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Suresh VeeragoniSuresh Veeragoni shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We considered this item, and decided it was a low priority feature. I will be watching closely whether this item receives a lot of votes.

Thanks for sharing the idea.

Gregg Boer – TFS Product Group.

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do this currently by adding additional user accounts with the stakeholder license to the team project that represent team members already in the team project. Then you can split their capacity and activity across those newly added user accounts. The user would not log on with these stakeholder accounts at all as they are only for capacity and assignment purposes. Works for us :), but it would be good to see this change make it in.

• anonymousanonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical feature for my team, we basically don't use activities at all right now as a result

• Joe BreeseJoe Breese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really helpful. Currently I spen about 1/3 of my day in development, 1/3 in requirements gathering and planning and the other 1/3 in bug fix and triage mode.

I'd really like to see this feature added

• Josh BerkeJosh Berke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great for our team. We are a small team (2 developers, and one support/product person). Right now we aren't tracking our time spent testing and QA, which looking at my burndown chart is obvious since we run out of work with several days left in our sprint.

I am going to rectify this and start setting tasks for QA, but I would like to be able to and say 20% of our time is testing activities, and 60% is development. This way I ensure I don't overallocate to much development time in a sprint.

• Huw BristowHuw Bristow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like this feature. Particularly important for small dev teams where people have split rolls

• Joe AubinJoe Aubin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just added 3 votes... it is one of my greatest pet peeves and seems a VERY trivial update to support.

• GeorginaGeorgina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're a front end team, so members are expected to do design and dev towards most work items.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about setting overall capacity at the team member level and setting the activity type at the work item level. The report would then roll up capacity for activities from work items. This seems far more scale-able. That way you don't have to keep updating team member activities every time you level resources or make a change in assignments.

• meme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very, very much agree. Cross-functionality is key in an agile team, few of my team work on just one type of activity for the entire cycle. Discussing this at a local code camp, there seems to be a broad concensus that this would be a highly useful feature...for some, the LACK of support may actually prohibit them from using the capacity planning features in TFS

• Emma WalshawEmma Walshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, particularly with smaller Dev teams, for example our team is 2 developers, me (QA/Requirements/Documentation) and one other who splits his time between requirements and dev.

At the minute we have no way to record the Documentation/Requirements as these are smaller roles and can't always track the amount of time spent on these without doing it elsewhere. I'm sure many other teams are in the same position.

• Peter DonaghyPeter Donaghy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The capacity functionality is severely compromised if a split across major activities for each Team Member is not possible. Only the largest of development environments are able to support 1 specific activity per person. In its current form this functionality is rudimentary at best and provides limited activity and resource capacity planning and reporting for our Team.

• Ben RimmerBen Rimmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would agree that most developers would actually perform more that one type of activity. I am astonished that this is rated as a low priority feature. This lack of functionality means that I now either have to use only one activity type for all team members and tasks or loose the ability to plan based on capacity. Very poor show!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base