I suggest you ...

Stop polluting My Documents with Visual Studio folders

Visual Studio creates a new folder in My Documents with every version. Over time, if the user requires many different versions of Visual Studio installed, this pollutes the folder. My Documents is supposed to be where I keep, well, my documents.

This even goes again Microsoft's own software design guidelines, if I remember them right.

Most of the subfolders should be moved to the existing AppData Visual Studio folder. The Projects subfolder has no reason to exist, since you might as well default the My Documents folder when creating new projects (the user can obviouly change this at the time, it's just a default location, as with any other app.)

179 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew McDonaldAndrew McDonald shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jay R OJay R O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do we get our development team to use the Development share on the server?

Old thread, but total frustration warrants a bump. I just changed in the registry the paths to point to our Development share on our server. Upon opening VWDExpress 2010, the settings were ignored, and in fact ALL the registry settings were changed back to the "My Documents" share on the server! "My Documents" is set by GPO to a server share ("My" documents for "Our" documents, wow if only Microsoft considered that their OS might be used in a business).

"DefaultFileOpenLocation", "DefaultNewProjectLocation", etc. now mapped to Server's "My Documents" share. NO! PLEASE STOP making us browse to our Development share! Such a waste of time. *fuming at all the wasted time over something so stupid*

• ErikErik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IT enforces a folder redirection gpo on user\Documents; so Microsoft make sure not to pollute this with HUGE files and ANYTHING not a document.
        OR provide a simple setting to put VS folders somewhere locally not affected by AD enforced GPOs.
        THX!

• Adam SpeightAdam Speight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why doesn't VS create a new Library entry in the Libraries folder in Explorer eg (My VS Projects). Then create a new Folder within the user's profile folder and link it to that. This then doesn't "pollute" the My Documents folder.

• PhilippePhilippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as I can tell, applications should use "My Documents" for any documents that are intended to be explicitly managed by the user or visible to the user while AppData should be used for data that is not directly manipulated by the user like Outlook files, application settings and such.

I find that it works pretty well for temporary and hobby projects. And for Professional applications, I tend to use my own sub-folders of MyDocuments.

• cpmcgrathcpmcgrath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This frustrates me so much. Visual Studio definitely isn't the only offender, but thanks to developers doing this My Documents has become useless. Most people will either not use My Documents, or create a folder inside My Documents called - Documents.

• Odoardo M. CalamaiOdoardo M. Calamai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The most part of errors of Visual Studio and Windows (by XP to Up) is the use of temporary storage into the User space, during the downloads, the unpacking and the installation of the applications, without the housekiping (cleaning the space used and no more useful).
        the worst is that the "temporary storage area" is transformed to repository, where the application goes to retrieve assembly, module etc.., instead of go to App Data\App-name.
        The assemblies, modules and parts of usefull code, mixed with clobbered data,
        waste largest storage area, sometime gratest that the relate applications.
        Searching for \Temp directory and file, we can discovery that too much "temporary" files are instead fixed dated files.

Feedback and Knowledge Base