I suggest you ...

Bring PowerShell support to the editor

In 2005 there was VBScript support, and the general consensus is that PowerShell is the wave of the future for scripting. Why can't it be brought into VS as a supported language with IntelliSense? It seems like the wheel was reinvented when the PowerShell ISE was developed when it can also be done in VS.

360 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NerdlingNerdling shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Javier Calvarro NelsonJavier Calvarro Nelson shared a merged idea: powershell support  ·   · 
    Jeremie ChassaingJeremie Chassaing shared a merged idea: powershell  ·   · 
    Keith HillKeith Hill shared a merged idea: Provide Option to Allow Project Build Events to Use PowerShell script  ·   · 
    Danilo GuardieiroDanilo Guardieiro shared a merged idea: to provide a powershell support for configuring Team Foundation Server 2010  ·   · 

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • gidodongasgidodongas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsft is that not native support for PowerShell in VisualStudio, I want to think a joke of something.
        It is a Windows shell script, even though it has already used to Microsoft's own various products of functions.
        All you need's native support rather than expansion.

• Keith HillKeith Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adam Driscoll has done this. Look for "PowerShell Tools for Visual Studio" in the extension manager. It's quite nice!

• Nicolas UthurriagueNicolas Uthurriague commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% Agree. We're developing a complete PowerShell-based solution with scripts, modules and Dlls but we need to rely on an external tool for debugging or editing PowerShell components (PowerGUI). This is far from ideal.

Got my vote.

• AdeelAdeel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1520 !!

In addition to "ps1" intellisense and syntax highlighting support, please add support for "cmd" and "bat" files too.

I agree with guys. Please dump ISE and pack a light-weight (express) VS version in WindOS (with support for JS, HTML, Text, PS1, CMD, BAT, CSS etc.)!

Thank you.

• @guitarrapc_tech@guitarrapc_tech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with Kent. Debugging and handling module with VS is currently quite hard with current VS extension style. Full intellisense support for .NET Class is what PowerShell developer really wants.

• Lost@CLost@C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Kent. Dump the Powershell ISE and let us use Visual Studio.

• Kent BoogaartKent Boogaart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Think some peeps are misunderstanding, or perhaps I am. The point is not to allow the execution of a PS script as part of a build event, but to enable editing of PS scripts with full syntax highlighting/Intellisense/debugging et cetera. Currently one must download a separate tool to do this, and I completely agree that this should all be in VS. At worst, a separate flavor of VS.

• metadingsmetadings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Consider: Your current object browser view, or your current project bindings class view, interactive and scriptable...

• metadingsmetadings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Studio: Interactive PowerShell'ing IDE !

please bring back dimgray borders and white background !!!

• tugberktugberk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can still run powershell commands on Project Build Events. Here is how I do that:

powershell -file "$(SolutionDir)tools\pack.ps1" $(SolutionDir) $(ProjectPath)

But I agree that it would be great to have OOB support for this.

• AnthonyAnthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't even use this feature and still voted for it. Powershell should be everywhere. However, you could just put your powershell build script in your project (for quick editing), and set the pre/post build event to call that script (i.e. powershell.exe $(ProjectDir)\postbuild.ps1) right?

• Jeremie ChassaingJeremie Chassaing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, my phone sent this one without my consent...
        The point is to better integrate powershell as an automation mean in VS, to go further that what is possible today with the package manager console of NuGet.
        Provide better console,
        Add better automation than raw DTE com interface.
        Use it more widely in the whole ide.

Feedback and Knowledge Base